Burnham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pblakeney

Shaman
He wasn't on the official run tracker and had a couple of guys just behind him, all that was needed really.

Farage would have needed armed guards and a flotilla protecting him along the final stretch. Milkshakes are scary.

Fagash would have to have been on a flotilla to finish the course.
 

laurentian

Active Member
Burnham has "cancelled engagements" following the death if his father . . .
 

AuroraSaab

Epic Member
I understand that due to Alzheimer's his dad didn't really grasp that Andy had become prime minister, which is a shame. It's nice that he lived to see it, even if he couldn't share in it.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Sunak speaking out against racism more readily than Burnham isn't a good look for Burnham. Even despite his family loss, he might have managed a statement condemning the outright racism that's spreading and the terrorising of RNLI volunteers.

I fear that, like Starmer, he's been grabbed by the testicles by Blue Labour. And racism is OK with them. It's 'legitimate racism', I suspect, especially if you asked someone like the Blue Labour nutter, Glasman.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

Country Member
As usual, John Harris seems to have a nuanced view of how the political ground lies with the general public (not the raving loonies whom the press often report. I get the feeling he doesn't spend his time talking to other journalists but to actual vaguely normal people.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...cy-nigel-farage-labour?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I suspect "normal people" varies according to one's background.

I am not sure what "normal" means in this context, if it means any one thing.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
I suspect "normal people" varies according to one's background.

I am not sure what "normal" means in this context, if it means anyone thing.

Well, not the Westminster bubble or pollsters. I think he spends quite a bit of time just talking to people in unexciting constituencies.
 

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Well, not the Westminster bubble or pollsters. I think he spends quite a bit of time just talking to people in unexciting constituencies.

The problem is normal people can be racist or xenophobic or just have worries about immigration levels affecting things important to them such as jobs, wages, housing, NHS, or not be bothered at all, welcoming immigration. I know people in all those camps both from the city where I live now and my smaller home town which I visit every week for family reasons.

If you are talking about Burnham I'll bet the vast majority of the people he talks to are carefully curated by his team.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
The problem is normal people can be racist or xenophobic or just have worries about immigration levels affecting things important to them such as jobs, wages, housing, NHS, or not be bothered at all, welcoming immigration. I know people in all those camps both from the city where I live now and my smaller home town which I visit every week for family reasons.

If you are talking about Burnham I'll bet the vast majority of the people he talks to are carefully curated by his team.

I'm talking about Harris, not Burnham. My guess is that he's very good at just getting people to talk about their worries away from a microphone & camera.
 
Top Bottom