Burnham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

secretsqirrel

spiteful class warrior
I can remember like it was yesterday. Chap who came avoided any pleasantries or really much eye contact. Quietly polite, but came and went.

Yes exactly. I have to say the staff were pretty amazing tho’, I was full of admiration for them.
 

AuroraSaab

Epic Member
How does 'high quality palliative care' differ from pointlessly prolonging a life that has become painful and meaningless?
It's a term that's easy to write, less easy to explain.

It's subjective obviously. If you don't have high quality end of life care available (which we don't; it's a bit of a lottery) you aren't really giving people the option of making a decision though. They'll feel pressured towards assisted dying because of the fear of what their final months might be like.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
I fear that Labour is turning into a UK version of the US Democrats: their reaction to the £72mn donations to Reform isn't to react with horror and to admit that there should be a cap on donations, but to send out an appeal for donations to the Labour Party.

cjpfqgbvzywqkdtpaimc7ba4io4fcneb4m3v7pdfnpe44uz3ei.jpg
 

Psamathe

Squire
I fear that Labour is turning into a UK version of the US Democrats: their reaction to the £72mn donations to Reform isn't to react with horror and to admit that there should be a cap on donations, but to send out an appeal for donations to the Labour Party.

View attachment 17214
I wonder how long until that becomes "Click on <link> to donate what you can to help our democracy" start appearing with payments from <link> going to some overseas crime network (ie fraud). Still, no doubt such a crime organisation would be pardoned by Trũmp then later donate ....
 

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I fear that Labour is turning into a UK version of the US Democrats: their reaction to the £72mn donations to Reform isn't to react with horror and to admit that there should be a cap on donations, but to send out an appeal for donations to the Labour Party.

I'd favour a cap on spending on political campaigning.
It should depend on numbers of people prepared to actively campaign, never on the amount of donations.

Get on this quick please any grass-roots socialists , liberals, trad conservatives, regional parties and greens! It's bloody urgent.
 

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I fear that Labour is turning into a UK version of the US Democrats: their reaction to the £72mn donations to Reform isn't to react with horror and to admit that there should be a cap on donations, but to send out an appeal for donations to the Labour Party.

View attachment 17214

Reform getting this money cannot be good for either of the main parties, or any other party, and while I believe it is bad for the country I cannot help but have a feeling of schadenfreude for Labour and Tory parties.

They have both shied away from legislating for caps on donations when they have had the power because it suited them, and now the biter has been bit.
 

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I'd favour a cap on spending on political campaigning.
It should depend on numbers of people prepared to actively campaign, never on the amount of donations.
Get on this quick please any grass-roots socialists , liberals, trad conservatives, regional parties and greens! It's bloody urgent.

It's also a bit late!
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

AuroraSaab

Epic Member
Reform getting this money cannot be good for either of the main parties, or any other party, and while I believe it is bad for the country I cannot help but have a feeling of schadenfreude for Labour and Tory parties.

They have both shied away from legislating for caps on donations when they have had the power because it suited them, and now the biter has been bit.

If any party were in receipt of huge donations I doubt they'd be rushing to cap them. It becomes a problem when other parties are the beneficiaries. As you say, they could have acted sooner but it didn't suit them to.

I'm not sure what the most workable solution would be but it's got to be better than sliding towards a US type system where only those with super rich backers can afford to campaign on an equal footing. It will only get worse if local mayors are given more powers and backers plough money into their favoured local candidates.
 

UglyWithaSidePart

Active Member
How much does having a massive fund help in campaigning? I get social media campaigns, especially when backed by foreign governments that can subvert the gullible and chronically online, but is your average intelligent person swayed by adverts, billboards etc?

Damn, think I might have answered my own question 😜
One solution is to prevent any and all donations, all registered parties get an equal footing from a government allowance, donors are free to donate to that central pool.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom