But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
'No blacks or Irish' obviously ceased to be displayed alongside the change in society, as already established, but I'm yet to receive an explanation as to why terms that were created by the very people being offended by the 'old' references now find them inappropriate?

So still no explanation as to why the terms created by the very people in order to prevent offence are now deemed as offensive.

Or is it really a case of people who aren't in theses groups creating them for others?

You're 'yet to receive an explanation' because basically you yourself have made an inaccurate assertion with very little basis in reality.

Having evidently done little to no research or even thinking on the matter yourself.

TMN @icowden

Now you're demanding that someone explain to you the justification for your own misapprehension..

It's a bit like me endlessly demanding to be told why they use a shuttlecock instead of a spherical ball in Premier League Football these days..

Mugshot

Über Member
Is there an organisation or committee that comes up with all the things that shep gets so offended by, I'm thinking of making a donation?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It wasn't very long ago that it was acceptable to show notices reading 'No blacks or Irish'. This equality thing is still evolving. The main reason for such terms is to label those communities and groups disadvantaged by prejudice. Of course any term referring to a group or minority is going to be misused and abused. But most of us in everyday life don't need to use them - mostly we can just treat people as individuals.
Rather than decry and ridicule terminology, perhaps think how and why these terms come about.

Very true.

Thankfully, that is no longer acceptable.

However, we haven’t “evolved” a new word for those of Irish heritage, or, have I missed it?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
You might have a think about why that might be.

I think I will pass on that. I prefer to think on:

Why, if we are trying to eliminate dividing people into groups, who may be discriminated against, we insist on dividing people into groups. Sounds a bit “divide and conquer” to me.

Ian H

Legendary Member
I think I will pass on that. I prefer to think on:

Why, if we are trying to eliminate dividing people into groups, who may be discriminated against, we insist on dividing people into groups. Sounds a bit “divide and conquer” to me.

If you're seeking to help a disadvantaged group, you are likely to want some way of referring to them.
Conversely, if you want to express your intolerance of a group (ethnic, religious, etc.) you are likely going to find a (probably different & negative) way of referring to them.
Difficult, innit.

bobzmyunkle

Right then, so according to 'Civilisation' and 'those that are abused' these terms were created by themselves in order for the rest of 'us' to use, but then somewhere down the line the very people creating them decided they didn't like them?

Have I got this right?
Not really, but it can get a bit confusing. I'm just going to slap a bit of James Brown and Curtis on the turntable - things were easier in those days. Maybe even a bit of Bob and Marcia.

bobzmyunkle

If you're seeking to help a disadvantaged group, you are likely to want some way of referring to them.
Conversely, if you want to express your intolerance of a group (ethnic, religious, etc.) you are likely going to find a (probably different & negative) way of referring to them.
Or indeed they might want to have an identity/refer to themselves.

D

Deleted member 28

Not really, but it can get a bit confusing. I'm just going to slap a bit of James Brown and Curtis on the turntable - things were easier in those days. Maybe even a bit of Bob and Marcia.

Thanks for your input 👍

D

Deleted member 28

Is there an organisation or committee that comes up with all the things that shep gets so offended by, I'm thinking of making a donation?

Offended?

Do you think I'm a 'Bame' member or a 'person of colour '?

I'll leave 'being offended ' to you professionals, I've never been offended in my life.

It's you poor souls 'fighting the good fight ' on behalf of people who think you are more ridiculous than I do.

Mugshot

Über Member
Offended?

Do you think I'm a 'Bame' member or a 'person of colour '?

I'll leave 'being offended ' to you professionals, I've never been offended in my life.

It's you poor souls 'fighting the good fight ' on behalf of people who think you are more ridiculous than I do.

Oh but you are offended shep, you're offended by far more than those that you throw that particular insult at, people that just want to rub along. Immigrants, anti-brexit posts, black people, brown people, wokerati, lgbqt+, black or women Dr Whos, same sex strictly, people wanting a more equal society, women posting on the Internet, on and on it goes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

9y

The Home Office?

You need to concentrate on getting your BMI down and your fitness level up or else you'll be relying on Craig and his pals to keep you on this mortal earth, more time needed in the Gym and less time knocking one out to the latest Gaurdian article might be on the cards.

Top Bottom