But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
And the nuances are constantly negotiated - but that's a bit like hard work.
Or quite fascinating,and even stimulating, if you have the kind of brain that enjoys that sort of thing .👍🏼

OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
That's weird, your main argument up to now seems to have been that I didn't have the numbers behind my claim!

Now someone else has said something similar you aren't demanding 'how many' anymore. You are even admitting you know the term is outdated, but when I pointed that out you demanded a number from me!

We agree the term is being, as it were, phased out as outdated. The links I've posted from UK government and the Law Society are crystal clear on that.

My gripe is/was with your assertion the term was offensive to a significant number of people. That was what I asked you to stand up with numbers.

Two surveys that suggest BAME is not well liked by the people it attempts to describe:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...escribe-sporting-survey-finds-sporting-equals

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...o-ethnic-minority-britons-feel-about-term-bam

Slightly contradictory answers on the YouGov survey, but the jist seems to be it is useful only in limited, very general circumstances. Main view seems to be, as you would expect, that it simplifies and reduces the experience of a number of communities to a lump-them-all-in-together category. Mixed race Brits seem to find it particularly unwelcome.

I don't know any black or Asian friends or colleagues who would use BAME to describe themselves. It's a clunky, reductive, catch all term.

D

Deleted member 28

Who came up with it in the first place?

Surely if it was a white person then whoever doesn't like it should have said so at the time if it was a 'bame' person then how come it was alright then but not now?

icowden

Legendary Member
Surely if it was a white person then whoever doesn't like it should have said so at the time if it was a 'bame' person then how come it was alright then but not now?
It's called change. It happens all the time. As words get misused or the meaning changes due to the way that they are used, we make a decision not to use them any more.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It's called change. It happens all the time. As words get misused or the meaning changes due to the way that they are used, we make a decision not to use them any more.

“We”?

D

Deleted member 28

Who is this 'we' you speak of, the people telling us certain terms are acceptable (once they've been made up) or people that aren't included in the group in the first place?

'Person of colour ' apparently that's not liked in certain quarters?

Who invented that one, white people or non white people and?

What a load of b*locks, no wonder people laugh at you.

Last edited by a moderator:

icowden

Legendary Member
Who is this 'we' you speak of,
Civilisation. Those who are abused.

For example, We moved from "handicapped" to "disabled" from "retarded" to "learning disability". We moved from "coloured" to "black" (or "people of colour" in the USA). At school people would regularly use the word "spazz" or "spastic",

Let's go with "person of color". Originally people of non-white origin were referred to as "colored". This description could be seen on signage across the USA to segregate "colored" people from white people. it was used negatively. To take back ownership of the term, the US settled on "people of colour" as a term to use when referring to non-white communities. It developed from Martin Luther King who used the term "citizens of color".

In the UK we didn't really get "people of color" as a term, but the use of "coloured" tended to be negative, so again we have sought to change.

The issue with terms like "person of colour" or "BAME" is that it reinforces the notion of "us" and "them". White people against non-white people. Many groups and people that are not white, don't like being lumped under a single acronym which includes Indians, Pakistanis, Africans, Carribean, East Asian etc.

mudsticks

Squire
Oh puh-leeeze!
I give you a Rwanda ‘versioning’ of Barry McKenzie’s drinking song, an homage to Humphries, Garland and Private Eye, and still you carp on.
You know that thing where people are mean to you, because secretly they hold you in high esteem, but their egos won't let them expose their vulnerabilities in that area..

I think Matty boys supposed disdain for you

Screenshot_20221201-043754.png
might be that.. 🤔

matticus

Guru
You know that thing where people are mean to you, because secretly they hold you in high esteem, but their egos won't let them expose their vulnerabilities in that area..

I think Matty boys supposed disdain for you

Blimey. Just a bit of pot and kettle there!

Top Bottom