But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
I believe Trump did something similar and was roundly criticised. Though you might have expected it from him.

icowden

Legendary Member
The transcript of the conversation is toe curling. Sort of thing that makes you think it must be satire.....
Agreed. Not sure that "traumatised and violated" is quite the right description though - surely very annoyed, shocked and angry would be closer to the mark. Indeed the lady herself said she has "mixed feelings" when she first posted.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
In the original tweet the aide is referred to as 'Lady' somethingorother so presumably titled aristocracy. I expect that the very very posh have a good idea of exactly where they're 'from' as they need to have traced their ancestry for the purposes of titles and inheritance. Just look at the mention of Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax and reparations on this forum, he's got all those names and can trace his ancestry all the way back to wheneveritis because of the need to preserve the dynasty. It's also (very obviously) tied to notions of empire and colonialism etc so we shouldn't be at all surprised that an extremely posh person should ask this type of question of a black woman. She may well be used to hosting foreign / Commonwealth dignitaries and subjects who may have different attitudes concerning where they are 'from', rather than charity workers from Hackney.

It's certainly interesting in terms of race, class, citizenship, empire and people's notions of their identity and position with our society and its heirarchical structures.

Edit: Although Sistah Space say they have no intention of naming the aide involved, she has been identified and as well as being posh as fark, is also 83 years old. Which might have something to do with it and one might hope that younger palace employees have a slightly more modern attitude. OTOH, it's the Royal Family, what do you expect? It's built in.

Last edited:

Ian H

Guru
Superannuated old fossil. Doubtless pretty much insulated from 'normal' people. She's retired herself now.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
She is Prince Williams God Mother!

And she's gone. Possibly pushed rather than fell. Either way, the correct action under the circumstances.

While this is horrible for the young woman and clearly racist it is no different to comments I have heard in the pub or in the workplace. There are too many like this in all areas of our society.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

mudsticks

Squire
Palace aide resigns after repeatedly asking a Black guest at a Buckingham Palace function about her origins:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ack-guest-traumatised-by-repeated-questioning

The transcript of the conversation is toe curling. Sort of thing that makes you think it must be satire.....
Cringe...

Her age is no excuse, It's insulting to older people to suggest that she's 'too old' to know any better.

She's been 'interacting' with the public for decades.
Makes me wonder how many other people she's said stuff like this to, but they were too shocked / embarrassed / cowed to say anything. .

And she's gone. Possibly pushed rather than fell. Either way, the correct action under the circumstances.

While this is horrible for the young woman and clearly racist it is no different to comments I have heard in the pub or in the workplace. There are too many like this in all areas of our society.

And those nice people down the pub (and in the DM comments) will be going on about all this 'woke lefty' fuss about nothing.
"What a snoflake"
"she should count herself lucky to get invited at all" etc etc.

So sick of it.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 28

Can't see what all the fuss is about myself, her parents were obviously from somewhere else other than the UK so why not just say?

D

Deleted member 28

Would people think the same if a white European person was asked the same?

Imagine asking a person with German heritage, for example, where they originally came from because their name badge had 'Gunter' on it?

Would there have been such a fuss?

Can't see what all the fuss is about myself
No surprise there.

Have you actually read what was said?

She then described the conversation:

Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We’re based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are YOU from?

Me: I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, UK

SH: NO, but what Nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: ‘My people’, lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when …

SH: Oh, I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean!

Me: No Lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh, so you’re from …”

her parents were obviously from somewhere else other than the UK
Why was this obvious?

Ian H

Guru
Would people think the same if a white European person was asked the same?

Imagine asking a person with German heritage, for example, where they originally came from because their name badge had 'Gunter' on it?

Would there have been such a fuss?

Yes, but that wouldn't happen in the same way. The blatantly obvious subtext of her unpleasantly persistent questioning was 'you can't be British because you're black', even after she was directly told otherwise.

Top Bottom