Cannabis as a Class A drug?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I voted for a Blair gov in 97. I remember the hit, but the comedown wasn't worth it.

You were just unlucky with a bad batch.

It's much more refined since then.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
No I'm asking how many of those who take cannabis recreationally end up with psychosis.
That is an impossible question to answer.

But if we flip the question then the answer is 100%. 100% of people who end up with a cannabis induced psychosis would say they took it recreationally.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63115171

Putting cannabis on the same level as heroin, coke and ecstasy is a wild idea.

It's nowhere near as damaging as any of those drugs, and if anything should be decriminalised IMO. All this 'gateway drug' thing is nonsense. What governments have been doing in the last however many years in their efforts to combat drugs has not been working and bumping probably the most innocuous drug out there to a Class A would be absolutely nuts.

Thankfully, the Home Office has said there are no plans for this madness.

Do you take cannabis @AndyRM ?

stowie

Sounds like a pretty dangerous drug to be made available without supervision, just for fun use. If it's use is mainly recreational and it requires several caveats when you take it, it seems to require quite a bit of responsibility on the part of the purchaser. It would just add to the issues we already have with reckless use of alcohol.

Water killed Leah Betts after heeding poor government advice. Not MDMA.

If I were being facetious, I might make the point that the dangerous drug in that case was H2O rather than MDMA.

Ecstasy was reviewed way back around 2006 and concluded with a recommendation it would be better classified as a "class B" narcotic alongside amphetamine than "class A" with things like Heroin.

stowie

It's a risk not a certainty like taxes though. I would think the risk v rewards will still be substantial enough to make it very worthwhile, especially as the target punter will likely be those who can't buy it legally. You'll have the middle classes buying small expensive amounts from some artisan dope shop, and the under 18's and the poor buying it cheaper from kids on bikes.

Those currently dealing drugs are unlikely to get licenses to run a cannabis shop. Hard to believe they'll just pack it in and get a proper job just because an authorised outlet has opened on the high street.

The legalisation of cannabis in certain regions can give data on what happens to consumption and illegal trade, although it is still quite early to say.

Looking at this, it seems like results are mixed. Certainly illegal local growers did go legitimate in places like California after state law changes. And Mexican drug gangs really gave up on importing cannabis after the change in law. On the other hand, the fact it is legal in state law but illegal in federal law plus the high cost / low margin of the legalised route still allowed illegal sales to flourish - mainly this was local growers who were making no money legally going illegal.

It isn't that difficult to think of a situation where illegal cannabis was simply too unprofitable for an illegal market to be viable. In the same way that in the UK there isn't much of a market for illegal moonshine because the legal alcohol market makes the venture unprofitable. But poorly constructed laws in a local jurisdiction can have a muted effect on removing illegal sales

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Water killed Leah Betts after heeding poor government advice. Not MDMA.
What a lot of bollocks.

MDMA disrupts the bodies complex balance of hormones (in a nutshell). Several of those hormones regulate the bodies relationship with water, temperature control and to some extent diet. As a result people drink too much and in some cases this causes a fatal chain of events. To blame Leah Betts for not following guidance when she had consumed a drug that disregulated her bodies building blocks is the ultimate victim blaming.
To say that water is the ultimate culprit here as well! Water is essential for life, so consuming it keeps the body alive. There is no physiological reason to consume MDMA.

Oh, and if MDMA doesn't kill people, it's what people do with it that does that, I think you have pretty much nailed the argument for reducing gun control. Guns don't kill anyone, it's what people do with them that does that.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It isn't that difficult to think of a situation where illegal cannabis was simply too unprofitable for an illegal market to be viable. In the same way that in the UK there isn't much of a market for illegal moonshine because the legal alcohol market makes the venture unprofitable.

So to make the illegal trade in cannabis disappear, like the trade in illicit alcohol has, you'd need a similar model to alcohol sales. Which is that it's freely available on every street corner, often very, very cheaply, and that there are thousands of outlets who will serve under 18's. For a product that increasing research seems to suggest can cause mental health issues amongst frequent users.

Top Bottom