Chelsea blues....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
No, but it does mean that we really ought to be considering not doing business with despots of all stripes...
...unless they want to buy weapons and bung a few quid to the Cons, obvs....

Since the war in Ukraine Saudi has been bombing and shelling Yemen with British made weapons.Today they beheaded 81 people ffs ! Suitable to own Newcastle ? We fecking stink of hypocrisy.
Considering the average opinion on this forum about the Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria war hypocrisy is indeed the right word. Because if we would intervenue in those countries their would be at least 10 topics complaining on how bad we are and so on. There is a big diference between war in the Middle east, first off due to their frequency, second off because frankly they are a much smaller threat than a war on the doorstep of Europe with a country that has nuclear bombs and a dictator that is losing it.

But in an ideal world we would stop them all, problem is the world isn't ideal, sadly it's far from in some places including Saudi Arabia.

D

Deleted member 49

Agreed, Saudi is not a suitable owner of Newcastle FC, or, any other UK football club. But, does that mean we should countenance Chelsea’s owner?
No....as you said I'm very black and white.I judge them all the same.

Beebo

Veteran
The Newcastle fans hated Ashley because he refused to run into debt and put up some SportsDirect advertising.

Yet there is no criticism of their new owners beheading 81 men. Of course the Saudi sovereign wealth fund has nothing to do with the ruling elite!

Seems it one rule for a Cockney millionaire and another rule for a Saudi billionaire. Totally hypocritical.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The Newcastle fans hated Ashley because he refused to run into debt and put up some SportsDirect advertising.

Yet there is no criticism of their new owners beheading 81 men. Of course the Saudi sovereign wealth fund has nothing to do with the ruling elite!

Seems it one rule for a Cockney millionaire and another rule for a Saudi billionaire. Totally hypocritical.

I thought he (Roman Abramovich) was a billionaire, and, a Russian/Israeli/Portuguese* ?

*delete are appropriate at the time

Last edited:

BoldonLad

I am no expert on football but I think Beebo was referring to Ashley and the moral vacuity of the Newcastle supporters.

I am also a football ignoramus, hadn't realised Ashley was a Cockney, if indeed it was Ashley he. was referring to. But, although Ashley's Sports Direct may have had some dubious employment practices, I wasn't aware he executed his employees, so, not sure I see the connection between Ashley and current owners. I. will have to ask my drinking pals, two of them are "Toon" fans.

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I am also a football ignoramus, hadn't realised Ashley was a Cockney, if indeed it was Ashley he. was referring to. But, although Ashley's Sports Direct may have had some dubious employment practices, I wasn't aware he executed his employees, so, not sure I see the connection between Ashley and current owners. I. will have to ask my drinking pals, two of them are "Toon" fans.
He's from daan south, which is as good as Cockney to some.

There are no connections and no similarities between Ashley and the new owners, and Beebo was not saying there were, just highlighting the hypocrisy of Newcastle fans on the one hand complaining about Ashley while turning a blind eye to the real evils perpetuated by the new owners who might buy them success.

BoldonLad

He's from daan south, which is as good as Cockney to some.

There are no connections and no similarities between Ashley and the new owners, and Beebo was not saying there were, just highlighting the hypocrisy of Newcastle fans on the one hand complaining about Ashley while turning a blind eye to the real evils perpetuated by the new owners who might buy them success.

OK. Clearly, if ever I were to take an interest in football, and, become a fan, I would have to support a team whose supporters have vociferously refused to have an evil owner, despite said owner's wealth and willingness to buy success. I suspect it will be a very sparse list of "possibles".

Rusty Nails

Country Member
OK. Clearly, if ever I were to take an interest in football, and, become a fan, I would have to support a team whose supporters have vociferously refused to have an evil owner, despite said owner's wealth and willingness to buy success. I suspect it will be a very sparse list of "possibles".
Football fans will always be quick to point out the evils of other clubs' owners.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

Unlike many out there you should support the team from where you live or area you came from or alternatively the one you have some connection with, just my opinion of course.

Top Bottom