Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Veteran
A no brainer for the Netherlands and its 17 million population.
https://www.rechargenews.com/wind/d...ectrify-large-part-of-netherlands/2-1-1302024
A 70 GW offshore wind target. Hydrogen production mops up all excess.

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
My feeling (or perhaps it's just a hope) is that this government will quickly fall into bickering disarray and most policies won't get any further than announcements.

I suspect it will depend on how long the price of gas remains so high.

albion

Veteran
My feeling (or perhaps it's just a hope) is that this government will quickly fall into bickering disarray and most policies won't get any further than announcements.

She met Jimmy Nail at the Bridge Hotel during the Great North run. Apparantly Jimmy arranged a sale of Seal Sands which has huge traces of oil amongst a few other chemicals.

slowmotion

Last edited:
It's interesting that the Netherlands went for off-shore wind. The population density is broadly similar to that of England but, as anybody who has cycled there suspects, it's an awful lot winder than here.
It's actually and lazy move, as there are lots off households with solar panels who can't use them, because the power grid can't handle it. It is however much better than fracking and hopefully will in the future replace the gas demand completely as the dutch gas yield are shrinking to the extent that is is causing earthquakes and such.

So the additional long term solution require them to do some mare upgrades to the power grid, in order for it to cope with solar energy and battery cars that need charging.

I suspect wind average is very similar to the uk but being flat, without the extreme wind hotspots we have.
So far i known it doesn't really matter in terms off sure when they make an wind farm they do need to known, the average wind speed, but as far is a known it has a gearing like system so the optimal yield is adjusted to the average wind speed, just as there is a certain cut out point to prevent them from overheating during a storm.

So a difference in average wind speed between the uk and nl woud just mean a different setting.

albion

Veteran
So far i known it doesn't really matter in terms off sure when they make an wind farm they do need to known, the average wind speed, but as far is a known it has a gearing like system so the optimal yield is adjusted to the average wind speed, just as there is a certain cut out point to prevent them from overheating during a storm.

So a difference in average wind speed between the uk and nl woud just mean a different setting.

There is still an optimum. And obviously, more onshore will be in the west of the Netherlands with its much higher average speed.
In the UK I suspect the geology means you get good magnification of wind.

icowden

Legendary Member
So the additional long term solution require them to do some mare upgrades to the power grid, in order for it to cope with solar energy and battery cars that need charging.
Hmmmm.... maybe we could do a deal with the Netherlands - we have a very strong grid but not enough solar and wind, they have more than enough solar and wind for their grid...

Anyone got a big extension lead?

stowie

Hmmmm.... maybe we could do a deal with the Netherlands - we have a very strong grid but not enough solar and wind, they have more than enough solar and wind for their grid...

We already have a connector HV link between Netherlands and UK for exactly this.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

It would appear we are, at present , an exporter of Electricity https://www.energylivenews.com/2022/07/15/britain-exported-electricity-for-first-time-since-2017-in-second-quarter/#:~:text=Britain has become a net,France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

so, it would appear we have the extension lead plugged in

No because the problem i highlighted is that the local capacity isn't enough to meet demand. The power cables in the ground now are made to deliver a certain current, but if you add solar panels that balance is going to change, because solar panels deliver back to the grid. So the local infrastructure need to be adjusted in such a way it will be able to handle this new situation. But at the moment politics in the Netherlands is too busy telling farmers they are ''older polluting verhicles'' (in tfl terms) and that they need to close their farms so the govement can build more houses in place because we all known houses are great for the environment right?

Top Bottom