Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
She met Jimmy Nail at the Bridge Hotel during the Great North run. Apparantly Jimmy arranged a sale of Seal Sands which has huge traces of oil amongst a few other chemicals.

This sounds like some rubbish 90s TV thriller. Are you SURE it really happened?

D

Deleted member 49

Fracking won’t work in UK says founder of fracking company Cuadrilla....I'm shocked 🙄
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...er-chris-cornelius-cuadrilla?CMP=share_btn_tw

Milkfloat

The crazier by the day government seems to have put the Express in panic mode.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...handed-masterplan-bills-cheap-electricity-gas

And farking fracking and nuclear do not even get a mention. This will be quite a shock to the system for their readers who have been suckered by them for years.

I am not sure I can believe that plan for 2030. It shows nuclear growing from now until then , but I was under the impression that we will be closing reactors, not opening them in this timeframe?

albion

Veteran
It is correct. The recent crown auction actioned that. Normally much of it is sat on as an asset. This might still be the case though this time the problem will be getting the turbines built. There must now be a massive shortage of both manpower and the materials.

Also note that costs will still be 150% above onshore.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I am not sure I can believe that plan for 2030. It shows nuclear growing from now until then , but I was under the impression that we will be closing reactors, not opening them in this timeframe?

Yes, I thought that too. I don't see how ANY party can increase Nuclear output in a timescale of less that 15-20 years, based on performance over the past 50 years.

Yes, I thought that too. I don't see how ANY party can increase Nuclear output in a timescale of less that 15-20 years, based on performance over the past 50 years.

If they're building 'conventional' nuclear stations like Sizewell C then that's certainly the timescale.

I read somewhere about smaller modular reactors based on those used in nuclear powered submarines. Could those be rolled out more quickly?

icowden

Legendary Member
If they're building 'conventional' nuclear stations like Sizewell C then that's certainly the timescale.

I read somewhere about smaller modular reactors based on those used in nuclear powered submarines. Could those be rolled out more quickly?

Probably not. Wind farms on the other hand - very quick to roll out (6 months to 2 years).

The crazier by the day government seems to have put the Express in panic mode.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...handed-masterplan-bills-cheap-electricity-gas

And farking fracking and nuclear do not even get a mention. This will be quite a shock to the system for their readers who have been suckered by them for years.
Nope, it's an propaganda article produced by something that says to be ''independent'' but it really isn't. You could have just had interviewed Shell just as unbiased as this lot. Not saying that their information isn't correct, it;s just if the source already starts with a lie kind of disputes the whole thing isn't it?

Wasn't that the one they cancelled a few year ago because China was the big enemy and it was chinese owned?(or the company building it )

Top Bottom