Cut parents benefits over school truancy

• Thread starter Deleted member 121
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
You lot fill yer boots, it's all immaterial anyway because can you see ANY government decriminalising class A drug use anytime soon?
Yep, Canada.

They are following Portugal, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Oregon in the USA in decriminalising drugs.

Starting on January 31, 2023, the province of British Columbia will conduct a trial—lasting three years—in which people over the age of 18 will be able to possess up to 2.5 grams of opioids, cocaine, methamphetamine, and MDMA without arrest, seizure, or charge

Czechia, the Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland are among a handful of countries that have decriminalized drug use and possession for personal use and that have also invested in harm reduction programmes. Consequently, diagnoses (of HIV) among people who inject drugs in those countries are low.

D

Deleted member 28

Yep, Canada.

They are following Portugal, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Oregon in the USA in decriminalising drugs.

I take it your really trying to be a dickh*ad now?

UK government nobber!

mudsticks

Squire
"Imagine a world where we said, what’s going on with the children? So many of them are angry and distressed after school. So many of them are shut in their bedrooms. So many of them are anxious and unhappy. So many of them disillusioned at 15.

Imagine if we didn’t think the problem was them. If we weren’t giving diagnoses like ‘after school restraint collapse’ or ‘anxiety based school avoidance’ & putting them on behaviour programmes, but instead we saw their distress as a klaxon call saying ‘Something is wrong’?

Maybe we’d look at their lives and ask ourselves what it’s like to be young in 2023. We’d see the pressure they are under and we’d ask if that’s necessary in their one and only childhood. We’d ask if they really need to spend their childhood taking tests and being ranked.

We’d build adventure playgrounds & make schools places full of opportunities and choices. We’d surround them with adults who valued their voices & helped them to learn about things they love, We’d build workshops and studios where they could learn skills and find meaning.

We’d value their differences and nurture their individuality. We’d make spaces for play. We’d start with relationships, always, and we’d offer them chances to challenge themselves. We’d surround them in unconditional acceptance and we’d help them recover when they messed up.

We’d tell them there are second chances, and third, and fourth and that there is never only one way in life. We’d give them hope for the future, and we’d show them we believed in them, even when they fail. We’d show them that success happens in many ways.

We’d listen to what they said & take them seriously. We’d stop assuming we always know best & we’d let them make some choices themselves. We’d tell them they can’t be ‘behind’ because there is no race. We’d let them make mistakes & we’d be there to catch them when they fell.

We might say, we’re sorry the world is in such a mess. We didn’t mean your childhood to be about pandemics, and climate disaster, and economic meltdown and mounting costs. We want you to feel safe, because you are our children. We owe you that.

There are things we can’t control - but other things we can. Our priority for childhood could be emotional well-being, relationships & opportunity. We’d choose joy. We’d make happiness an key educational outcome. We’d judge schools by how pleased children were to be there.

What would happen, if we saw the distress of children as a warning call? Not a problem in them, to be dealt with by professionals, but a sign that something isn’t right in the world. What If we listened to the tears of children & we asked, how could we do better? What then?"

Dr Naomi Fisher

multitool

Shaman
I too have some personal experience of. a "druggy" in the family.

I think legalisation and regulation would be a good idea. But, I believe the benefits would be for the rest of us, ie, less crime, less cost of housing offenders. I don't think the addicts lives would be significantly improved. We already have two legal drugs (alcohol and tobacco, actually, three, if we include Gambling), which cause significant harm to addicts and those around them, I don't really see that adding more possiblities will improve the situation.

As someone (@Adam4868 ?) has already said, the "war on drugs" is already lost, therefore, time to limit the damage, and, shift the income, from the criminals to HMRC, IMHO.

For reasons I outlined in a previous post I think addicts could benefit. It would remove them from having to consort with criminal gangs in order to source drugs. It would put them in contact with health care, it would keep them out of prison, they would have money to buy food etc.

multitool

Shaman
The other aspect, tying this back into earlier points, are the underlying reasons for drug usage. Clearly the reasons are complex and varied, but it seems to me that much of the problematic drug use (because much of it isnt problematic) is about self-medication for pain. And I don't mean physical pain.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121

"Imagine a world where we said, what’s going on with the children? So many of them are angry and distressed after school. So many of them are shut in their bedrooms. So many of them are anxious and unhappy. So many of them disillusioned at 15.

Imagine if we didn’t think the problem was them. If we weren’t giving diagnoses like ‘after school restraint collapse’ or ‘anxiety based school avoidance’ & putting them on behaviour programmes, but instead we saw their distress as a klaxon call saying ‘Something is wrong’?

Maybe we’d look at their lives and ask ourselves what it’s like to be young in 2023. We’d see the pressure they are under and we’d ask if that’s necessary in their one and only childhood. We’d ask if they really need to spend their childhood taking tests and being ranked.

We’d build adventure playgrounds & make schools places full of opportunities and choices. We’d surround them with adults who valued their voices & helped them to learn about things they love, We’d build workshops and studios where they could learn skills and find meaning.

We’d value their differences and nurture their individuality. We’d make spaces for play. We’d start with relationships, always, and we’d offer them chances to challenge themselves. We’d surround them in unconditional acceptance and we’d help them recover when they messed up.

We’d tell them there are second chances, and third, and fourth and that there is never only one way in life. We’d give them hope for the future, and we’d show them we believed in them, even when they fail. We’d show them that success happens in many ways.

We’d listen to what they said & take them seriously. We’d stop assuming we always know best & we’d let them make some choices themselves. We’d tell them they can’t be ‘behind’ because there is no race. We’d let them make mistakes & we’d be there to catch them when they fell.

We might say, we’re sorry the world is in such a mess. We didn’t mean your childhood to be about pandemics, and climate disaster, and economic meltdown and mounting costs. We want you to feel safe, because you are our children. We owe you that.

There are things we can’t control - but other things we can. Our priority for childhood could be emotional well-being, relationships & opportunity. We’d choose joy. We’d make happiness an key educational outcome. We’d judge schools by how pleased children were to be there.

What would happen, if we saw the distress of children as a warning call? Not a problem in them, to be dealt with by professionals, but a sign that something isn’t right in the world. What If we listened to the tears of children & we asked, how could we do better? What then?"

Dr Naomi Fisher

I understand we could probably fill another thread on its own about this subject, but there is a sharp increase in home schooling and where the vast majority of these children have seen remarkable improvements in learning, mood, willingness to engage and even improvements in self esteem. It's something that we here are keeping an eye on.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
I understand we could probably fill another thread on its own about this subject, but there is a sharp increase in home schooling and where the vast majority of these children have seen remarkable improvements in learning, mood, willingness to engage and even improvements in self esteem. It's something that we here are keeping an eye on.

Snort!

All these supposed benefits will dissolve on contact with, if not air, then the real world of scum-baggery at work. I'll bet these home schooled yellow snowflakes will piss themselves at the possibility of physical violence behind the Dog and Leathering. This is no preparation for real life, just ask my well-adjusted kids... (and so on for several pages.)

Come on shep, don't make me do this all by myself...

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
For reasons I outlined in a previous post I think addicts could benefit. It would remove them from having to consort with criminal gangs in order to source drugs. It would put them in contact with health care, it would keep them out of prison, they would have money to buy food etc.

I didn't say they (addicts) wouldn't benefit, I thought the word "significantly" covered that. It depends what you consider "significant" of course. In my experience, most addicts have other underlying problems, their use of drugs and subsequent addiction is often (but not always) a symptom rather than a cause.

Top Bottom