Dave Chappelle vs the Woke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
To be fair, gay folk getting a free biscuit is one of the pressing issues of the day.

Oxfam have removed a game called Wonder Women Bingo because it only features biological women. It doesn't include transwomen.

‘We took the decision to remove the game from sale following concerns raised by trans and non-binary colleagues who told us it didn’t live up to our commitment to respect people of all genders.’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...g-inspiration-woman-including-JK-Rowling.html

This is the same Oxfam who were severely criticised by the Charity Commission for failing to address claims of bullying, nepotism, and child sexual abuse by their staff.

Women can't have anything just for themselves it seems. Not even a game of fecking bingo.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
To be fair, gay folk getting a free biscuit is one of the pressing issues of the day.

Oxfam have removed a game called Wonder Women Bingo because it only features biological women. It doesn't include transwomen.

‘We took the decision to remove the game from sale following concerns raised by trans and non-binary colleagues who told us it didn’t live up to our commitment to respect people of all genders.’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...g-inspiration-woman-including-JK-Rowling.html

This is the same Oxfam who were severely criticised by the Charity Commission for failing to address claims of bullying, nepotism, and child sexual abuse by their staff.

Women can't have anything just for themselves it seems. Not even a game of fecking bingo.
Well, boycotts work both ways of course, easy enough not to donate to Oxfam, other charities do exist. ;)

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
They have been off my list for a while due to various issues, including the relentless 'chugging' they used to do. Same with Amnesty International. I was a long time supporter but my money goes elsewhere now.

I find it increasingly true that 'Every great cause starts as a movement, becomes a business, and descends into a racket'.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Today Chappelle has apparently said he's willing to discuss the issues with representatives of the trans community but only if they've watched the whole show, which seems fair enough.

I think this will all blow over as Chappelle's comments seem fairly mainstream to me, and he's too big to be cancelled. If anything, as BL said, the overwrought response has brought him more viewers and fans.

Funnily enough there were no staff walk outs or demos over Netflix's rather dodgy promotion of the French film, Cuties, the poster of which is best described as nonce-adjacent:

Cuties_Netflix_poster.jpg

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Today Chappelle has apparently said he's willing to discuss the issues with representatives of the trans community but only if they've watched the whole show, which seems fair enough.

I think this will all blow over as Chappelle's comments seem fairly mainstream to me, and he's too big to be cancelled. If anything, as BL said, the overwrought response has brought him more viewers and fans.

Funnily enough there were no staff walk outs or demos over Netflix's rather dodgy promotion of the French film, Cuties, the poster of which is best described as nonce-adjacent:

View attachment 136

Netflix took a hammering over Mignonnes; perhaps not from staff, but they got a lot of flak.

Archie_tect

Nothing is as simple as it may appear... it is difficult, nigh impossible, to second-guess the correct response to any given situation.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but people need to be less confrontational and more accepting.

Top Bottom