Death penalty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
' “Smith writhed and convulsed on the gurney. He took deep breaths, his body shaking violently with his eyes rolling in the back of his head.”
Roney’s report continued: “Smith clenched his fists, his legs shook … He seemed to be gasping for air. The gurney shook several times.”
Rev. Jeff Hood, Smith’s spiritual adviser, was at Smith’s side for the execution, and said prison officials in the room “were visibly surprised at how bad this thing went.” '

'Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who along with two other liberal justices dissented, wrote: “Having failed to kill Smith on its first attempt ', Alabama has selected him as its ‘guinea pig’ to test a method of execution never attempted before. The world is watching.”

Smith said "Tonight, Alabama caused humanity to take a step backwards," Smith said. "I'm leaving with love, peace and light. Thank you for supporting me, love all of you.". Media witnesses said Smith appeared conscious for about ten minutes. (NPR)
https://www.npr.org/2024/01/25/1226936713/alabama-execution-kenneth-smith?ft=nprml&f=191676894

As I said, sick.

We were informed that people who unknowingly were rendered unconscious by N2 (including animals) simply 'faint' and if not very quickly resuscitated are gone. Never heard during our training and accident/near miss reporting of anything like gasping or struggling for breath, never.
Am not saying that it didn't happen but am a little sceptical based on previous training (and our team worked on gas stunning of pigs and poultry)....
Best thing is simply not to do it in the first place.

I bet Alabama's banned abortion....

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 121

Smith was contract killer, deserved execution. Don't care how it was done, nitrogen seems a more kinder way than many other options.

He was. Smith had a choice. He didn't have to kill the poor woman. Similarly, the state of alabama had a choice. They also didn't have to kill. But instead of leading by example, they followed in smiths footsteps and also killed. They have more in common than they realise...

AndyRM

Elder Goth
With no exception for rape or incest, of course.

Mmm. Of all the states I've visited, it was definitely one of the weirder ones.

ETA: I was in full goth mode the times I was there, so I can't exactly say I wasn't one of the weirder ones myself.

Last edited:

Ian H

Guru
Oh, absolutely agree. The whole thing is barbaric.
Some more detail from Albion Bye's link. It seems that even the sentencing wasn't straightforward -
Smith's path to the death chamber has not been straightforward. After he was brought to trial in 1989, 10 of 12 jury members voted that he should receive the death penalty. But that conviction was later reversed when it was revealed that prosecutors had unconstitutionally struck Black jurors from the pool. Black people have historically been less supportive of capital punishment than white Americans.
When Smith was retried in 1996, all but one juror voted against the death penalty and recommended he spend life in prison instead. But the trial judge, Pride Tompkins, overruled the jury and imposed a death sentence. The Alabama statute that allowed judges to override jury recommendations has since been replaced; Smith would have been sentenced to life in prison had 11 of 12 jurors voted as they did during his second trial.

Some more detail from Albion Bye's link. It seems that even the sentencing wasn't straightforward -
Smith's path to the death chamber has not been straightforward. After he was brought to trial in 1989, 10 of 12 jury members voted that he should receive the death penalty. But that conviction was later reversed when it was revealed that prosecutors had unconstitutionally struck Black jurors from the pool. Black people have historically been less supportive of capital punishment than white Americans.
When Smith was retried in 1996, all but one juror voted against the death penalty and recommended he spend life in prison instead. But the trial judge, Pride Tompkins, overruled the jury and imposed a death sentence. The Alabama statute that allowed judges to override jury recommendations has since been replaced; Smith would have been sentenced to life in prison had 11 of 12 jurors voted as they did during his second trial.

FFS....

ebikeerwidnes

Isn't the best option not to execute people?

Of course not

The good thing about the death penalty is that all the ones that are wrongly convicted don;t go round winging about it for years on end

Beebo

Veteran

Just listening to some background to this story.

The judge who overturned the 11-1 jury decision was facing reelection so felt he had to go for the death penalty. Isn’t that a perfect example of keeping politics out of the legal system.

The most shocking thing is that the man who hired Smith as a hit man to kill his wife was a Pastor in Alabama. Ahem to that!
He committed suicide before the law caught with him.

Top Bottom