Discussion of Range Rover woman being charged .... as formerly seen on CC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
I'm sure the fact she was filmed trying to drive her 2 tonne vehicle over someone sitting on the floor won't go down well with the jury.

What I was trying to get across was an assessment of her general likeability.

Little is known of how juries think, but barristers and other court watchers think a witness's general demeanour is important, if maybe not as important as their actions at the time of the offence.

StuAff

The Sun for one tried to portray her as a 'have a go hero', which is utter pish. If she didn't confront those people her precious kid wouldn't have been late for school (and could he not get there by other means anyway?) and she wouldn't be up on a charge. She has shown no remorse or contrition whatsoever.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
What I was trying to get across was an assessment of her general likeability.

Little is known of how juries think, but barristers and other court watchers think a witness's general demeanour is important, if maybe not as important as their actions at the time of the offence.

surely, juries are just people? Their views/thoughts, are presumably as varied as the proverbial “public opinion”, and, hopefully, a little more representative than on here?

Eh? You do realise that we are in the midst of a climate crisis and soon you could be swimming rather than cycling?
This kind of nonsense fuels all those climate denying websites, ''experts'', facebook groups etc. , because it's simply isn't true. Even not in the Netherlands which in is far below sea level as you might know.
Yes there is a predicted temperature and therefore water level increase, but it would be better if you know your facts, for half off europe to flood because of increasing water levels, we need to continue and increase to pollute much more than we do now.(the IPCC report assume and big increase of coal power to back these numbers)
However de trend even before this year climate hysteria was a decrease, the use of coal power as a energy source has been decreasing in the past 30 years or so.

Ontopic, if you use your car as a weapon, even get filmed doing it then you can get prosecuted and go to jail.. Whataboutery ''but they blocked the road'' isn't going to help.
It's the police's job to remove them from the road, what you see some builders doing(dragging them of the road) is very much on the edge.
Having said that, i don't see how causing traffic jams, is helping.(it means more pollution)

Cirrus

I think that you might be projecting a number of your obvious enthusiasms. Cyclists were not involved and nobody went under anybody's wheels . Please try and calm down.
I see an opportunity for the car manufacturers, anti protester cow catcher. Now would that be a factory fit or dealer fit accessory.

Pale Rider

Veteran
surely, juries are just people? Their views/thoughts, are presumably as varied as the proverbial “public opinion”, and, hopefully, a little more representative than on here?

Let's say you are generally more likeable than me.

If we were to both offer the same defence to the same offence, you explanation might be accepted more readily than mine.

There was some research done years ago into how we perceive accents.

A strong Birmingham accent was widely disliked, a received pronunciation (RP) speaker was widely liked.

Respondents described the RP speaker as more likely to be truthful, even better looking, which is clearly daft.

Thus the RP speaker starts with an advantage over a Brummie when giving evidence.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Let's say you are generally more likeable than me.

If we were to both offer the same defence to the same offence, you explanation might be accepted more readily than mine.

There was some research done years ago into how we perceive accents.

A strong Birmingham accent was widely disliked, a received pronunciation (RP) speaker was widely liked.

Respondents described the RP speaker as more likely to be truthful, even better looking, which is clearly daft.

Thus the RP speaker starts with an advantage over a Brummie when giving evidence.

Understood.

What I was (attempting) to get at was the response of the Jury, which, would IMHO, be as you describe. So, the more "agreeable" the defendant can present themselves as, the greater likelihood of acquittal, or, conviction of a lesser offence.

OP
OP
FishFright

FishFright

How about sending that same advice to the person blocking the road? You don't have to be a genius to realise that Insulate Britain is long past its sell by date.

The person blocking road wasn't in control of 2 tonnes of faux moral outrage.

As for the second part .... do some thinking before posting.

OP
OP
FishFright

FishFright

This kind of nonsense fuels all those climate denying websites, ''experts'', facebook groups etc. , because it's simply isn't true. Even not in the Netherlands which in is far below sea level as you might know.
Yes there is a predicted temperature and therefore water level increase, but it would be better if you know your facts, for half off europe to flood because of increasing water levels, we need to continue and increase to pollute much more than we do now.(the IPCC report assume and big increase of coal power to back these numbers)
However de trend even before this year climate hysteria was a decrease, the use of coal power as a energy source has been decreasing in the past 30 years or so.

Ontopic, if you use your car as a weapon, even get filmed doing it then you can get prosecuted and go to jail.. Whataboutery ''but they blocked the road'' isn't going to help.
It's the police's job to remove them from the road, what you see some builders doing(dragging them of the road) is very much on the edge.
Having said that, i don't see how causing traffic jams, is helping.(it means more pollution)

It must take a lot of effort to remain that ill-informed .

kynikos

Will half a metre do it?

slowmotion

Your obvious empathy with someone who deliberately drove a w@nkpanzer at people is not a good look, Slowmo.
As a fellow human being, I can understand her frustration. I never suggested that she was a hero, and I don't think anybody enters NACA with the intention of currying favour so I'm not seeking "a good look".

kynikos

Oh - and coal

D

Deleted member 28

I see an opportunity for the car manufacturers, anti protester cow catcher. Now would that be a factory fit or dealer fit accessory.
Or a 'protester plow' fake fur lined of course.

Top Bottom