England Rugby International arrested on suspicion of teenager's rape....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
The story is being reported in foreign news outlets naming the player and providing some sordid details about the 41 year old female also arrested.

D

Deleted member 49

I read of one couple they named who have issued a statement to say it wasn't them involved.
Dangerous to be naming people I think.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
The woman involved was named by the Mail yesterday. Paid for her story I assume as seemed happy to be named, and says it was her who rang the police.

I don't think it's that surprising. There's a football player out on bail for several rape charges at the moment and there's been several similar cases in the past.

Beebo

Veteran
I read of one couple they named who have issued a statement to say it wasn't them involved.
Dangerous to be naming people I think.
This is always going to be a problem when the police don’t name the suspect.
The player you are talking about is Danny Cipriani who is in his mid 30s. His partner had to tell the paparazzi to go away which is terrible.
The unnamed player is 29.
Overseas newspapers don’t have to worry about naming him, it’s easy to google if you want.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Is your emotion disgust or surprise? The former we would all agree with, the latter, I'm afraid, I don't.
That's a good question. Something of both.
Disgust primarily at the whole sorry depraved tale.
What still surprises/shocks me my often naive mind is when another woman is involved in aiding and abetting an offence such as rape/sexual assault, though after Ghislaine Maxwell (and other cases over the years) I really shouldn't be surprised, but somehow still am....

spen666

That's a good question. Something of both.
Disgust primarily at the whole sorry depraved tale.
What still surprises/shocks me my often naive mind is when another woman is involved in aiding and abetting an offence such as rape/sexual assault, though after Ghislaine Maxwell (and other cases over the years) I really shouldn't be surprised, but somehow still am....
don't jump to conclusions about who did what to whom and when

Wait for any trial and the evidence to be presented.

At present, no one has even been charged with any offence, let alone convicted.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
don't jump to conclusions about who did what to whom and when

Wait for any trial and the evidence to be presented.

At present, no one has even been charged with any offence, let alone convicted.

Innocent until proven guilty?, what an interesting concept ;)

Beebo

Veteran
It’s the age old argument about whether to name a suspect in sexual cases before being found guilty. We discussed it in the old place.

The Man City player Benjamin Mendy was named when facing rape charges and additional rape charges were subsequently brought presumably after his identity was released and new victims came forward.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I suppose he'll be named if they charge him. I was reading some research the other day about sexual assault. It was done with male uni students and the gist of it was that the chances of being a) even arrested and b) charged and found guilty were so low that sexual assault was viewed as a 'low risk but high reward' offence to the point that there was no real deterrent not to engage in it (if you were already so inclined to such behaviour).

It's a terrible thing to be accused of a crime if you are innocent, and even more so a sexual or violent crime, but I wouldn't be in favour of anonymity for defendents for the reasons Beebo outlines.

Top Bottom