Enhanced Britishness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

Surely it does not matter what Britishness is, it is the fact the government is demanding more of it without explaining what it is which is the real problem. I generally have a bit of a problem with the government coming out with all sorts of ill thought out statements and ideas.

When we find out their definition, then we can mostly attack it as it is likely to be harping back to a Britain that never really existed and should never exist in the future. However, I am happy to reserve judgement until they actually tell us what they mean.

Ian H

Guru
I can remember the National Anthem being played in the English cinema after the films, and most people trying to exit before it started. Contrast with a more recent event at a theatre in Wales where the audience strained every vocal cord singing the Welsh anthem. The Scots seem keen to revive the Auld Alliance, which of course doesn't involve the rest of Britain.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
Wasn't that the thrust of the OP?

Thread title: Enhanced Britishness

Question from OP: Ok. Help me out here. What does this mean?

That was followed by some suggestions. The meaning of the word Enhanced is not likely to be up for debate so the effective question is What is Britishness.

@Craig the cyclist, do you have any suggestions as to what it means.

I've already pointed out what I said in the first sentence but that's still to difficult for the poor little lamb.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Why not actually answer the question rather than whine about there being too many questions and, as a result, divert the thread away from its purpose.

A tactic you used in the old NACA.
I don't think that the government has been taking advice from the Chinese premier.

There, I have answered the question in the OP.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Ok. Help me out here. What does this mean? More white and English? Less 'forriners?'

More Government propaganda? This is similar to the kind of nonsense we're seeing more of here in Hong Kong. Loads of flags, enforced patriotism and TV programmes that are becoming CCP propaganda channels. Is the UK Gov taking advice from Xinnie?

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/channel-4-uk-government-privatization-disagreement-1235065495/

I'm another thicko who struggles with @cookiemonster's prose, but the meaning of the linked story is clear enough.

The government wishes to preserve uniquely British broadcasting in the face of a riding tide of largely American made increasingly alike programmes whose style is decided by computer algorithms.

It has nothing to do with 'less forriners', flags, propaganda, Chairman Mao, secret police or even any enforced form of patriotism.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Is the UK Gov taking advice from Xinnie?
This is the question from post #1 in this thread. It is a sentence, ending with a question mark and is in the first (OP) post.

Why are you struggling when I answered it?
The only answer I can come up with is that you didn't mean to ask that question. For answering the wrong one, I humbly apologise. Having re-read the Op I can now safely answer the question you have actually asked.
More Government propaganda?
No, I don't believe it is more government propaganda. I think it is a starting point for a change of tone in broadcasting, probably a bit like France does I imagine.

Sorted, OP question answered.

The government wishes to preserve uniquely British broadcasting in the face of a riding tide of largely American made increasingly alike programmes whose style is decided by computer algorithms.
If they actually desire this, how does it align with their policies of defunding the BBC and selling Channel 4?

Pale Rider

Veteran
If they actually desire this, how does it align with their policies of defunding the BBC and selling Channel 4?

One of things I took from the announcement was it rather assumes public service broadcasting is going to continue, albeit the funding model may change.

Because those two show the wrong side of Britishness, i.e. they question the government of the day rather than parrot them.

Is Downton Abbey the wrong sort of Britishness?

The government doesn't seem to think so, because it's the production of Downton and other uniquely British programmes which it is seeking to protect.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
One of things I took from the announcement was it rather assumes public service broadcasting is going to continue, albeit the funding model may change.
Is Downton Abbey the wrong sort of Britishness?
The government doesn't seem to think so, because it's the production of Downton and other uniquely British programmes which it is seeking to protect.
I admire your touching sense of loyalty to this government if you think that is all they are concerned about.

Pale Rider

Veteran
I admire your touching sense of loyalty to this government if you think that is all they are concerned about.

That is all the linked report of a media conference was about - Britishness in public service broadcasting.

No doubt the government is concerned about many other things, after all, light entertainment is hardly an important matter of state, and it can safely be dealt with by a junior member of the cabinet.

Top Bottom