Enhanced Britishness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The government doesn't seem to think so, because it's the production of Downton and other uniquely British programmes which it is seeking to protect.
British programmes are already being produced, watched and sold worldwide. What is the threat to such productions from letting the broadcasters get on with it?

It seems to me that the government is saying they want one thing and then planning actions that ensure it is less likely to happen. That makes me suspicious about their actual motivation.

mudsticks

Squire
Ok. Help me out here. What does this mean? More white and English? Less 'forriners?'

More Government propaganda? This is similar to the kind of nonsense we're seeing more of here in Hong Kong. Loads of flags, enforced patriotism and TV programmes that are becoming CCP propaganda channels. Is the UK Gov taking advice from Xinnie?

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/channel-4-uk-government-privatization-disagreement-1235065495/

There's a phrase in there about every person in every corner of the UK being able to see their lives reflected in programming.

Which suggests that we ourselves, should take it in turns to make short films about our lives , so that we are all represented.

Which sounds like a rather bizarre idea, albeit cheap enough...

But in fact it's already being done on the U tubes..

That ship has sailed

So try again guys..

Oh and..

Whenever I see Public Service Broadcasting shortened to PSB.

I always think of purple sprouting broccoli.

I reckon that alone by itself, qualifies me as very thoroughly British, so I should therefore be on the telly..

Tell me I'm wrong, and by HOW much ?!?!?!?!

Pale Rider

Veteran
I hate to break this to you but Downton Abbey is fiction .

At least you are finally beginning to grasp what this story is about.

The government wants to ensure uniquely British programmes, such as Downton, don't get swamped by generic English language programmes mostly made in America.

Typically, some on here go off on one, blathering on about 'forriners' and Empire, which have naff all to do with the story.

The government wants to ensure uniquely British programmes, such as Downton, don't get swamped by generic English language programmes mostly made in America.

If the government really wants to ensure "uniquely British programmes" aren't swamped, then they should stop defunding the BBC and cancel the sale of Channel 4.

Pale Rider

Veteran
May I respectfully enquire whether Downton is properly regarded as British or English?

You can, but who gives a toss?

mudsticks

Squire

Typically, some on here go off on one, blathering on about 'forriners' and Empire, which have naff all to do with the story.

I'll just go fetch my list of uniquely British comedy .

There's lots of good stuff on Channel 4 ATM.

Alongside others, I believe all this and the nonsense about crowns on pint glasses, and such like is an attempt at distraction from what our government is actually doing .

But I guess they think that blathering on about such stuff will keep us distracted.

I guess it may well work with the slightly more feeble minded.

Pale Rider

Veteran
I'll just go fetch my list of uniquely British comedy .

There's lots of good stuff on Channel 4 ATM.

Alongside others, I believe all this and the nonsense about crowns on pint glasses, and such like is an attempt at distraction from what our government is actually doing .

But I guess they think that blathering on about such stuff will keep us distracted.

I guess it may well work with the slightly more feeble minded.

Or perhaps ripping up the rights of workers is just a blind to cover a mendacious plan to get another series of Line of Duty made.

swansonj

Regular
You can, but who gives a toss?
I rather suspect: quite a lot of Scots, Welsh, and Northern Irish. And each time someone implies that they don't give a toss about the rather important difference between English and British, it's one more nail in the coffin of the Union (which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your politics) and one more unnecessary insult (which, I hope, is always a bad thing).

Pale Rider

Veteran
I rather suspect: quite a lot of Scots, Welsh, and Northern Irish. And each time someone implies that they don't give a toss about the rather important difference between English and British, it's one more nail in the coffin of the Union (which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your politics) and one more unnecessary insult (which, I hope, is always a bad thing).

No one who enjoys watching the programme could give a toss whether it's 'British' or 'English', just as I couldn't give a toss about Dr Finlay's Casebook being based in Scotland (assuming it was).

It's a cosy falsification of English history.

It's a fictional series based around a fictional family living on a fictional estate.

How much realism were you expecting?

Top Bottom