Enhanced Britishness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

No one who enjoys watching the programme could give a toss whether it's 'British' or 'English', just as I couldn't give a toss about Dr Finlay's Casebook being based in Scotland (assuming it was).

It's a fictional series based around a fictional family living on a fictional estate.

How much realism were you expecting?

No one or just you ?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I can remember the National Anthem being played in the English cinema after the films, and most people trying to exit before it started. Contrast with a more recent event at a theatre in Wales where the audience strained every vocal cord singing the Welsh anthem. The Scots seem keen to revive the Auld Alliance, which of course doesn't involve the rest of Britain.

Perhaps I miss-understand your post, but....

If flag waving and national anthem singing are signs of being more "British", "English", etc, then, I would like less, not more.

Ian H

Guru

If flag waving and national anthem singing are signs of being more "British", "English", etc, then, I would like less, not more.
I was just musing on the difference between Englishness and Britishness (or what is left of it). I'm allergic to flags and I don't stand for anthems.

D

Deleted member 28

Why is it so many on here seem to want to deny the fact they're English, why do you seem to despise things like the George Cross or National Anthems or even English made programmes?
I say English because I don't get the feeling that Scot's, Welsh or Irish folk feel the same.
It's alien to me to encounter so much dislike for your own country.

Why is it so many on here seem to want to deny the fact they're English, why do you seem to despise things like the George Cross or National Anthems or even English made programmes?
I say English because I don't get the feeling that Scot's, Welsh or Irish folk feel the same.

As a Scotsman, I agree with your sentiments and I cannot understand why the English cannot be proud of being English. I'm proud to be Scottish and I can say that publicly without any issues. Whereas, I never hear, and TBH never heard, anyone say that they're proud to be English. It is strange.

However, in my OP, I do have a concern about this 'Enforced Britishness,' whatever that means.

Pale Rider

Veteran
However, in my OP, I do have a concern about this 'Enforced Britishness,' whatever that means.

In this case it merely means some regulatory attempt to ensure programmes such as Downton Abbey continue to be made.

Hardly worth getting worked up one way or the other, although I accept many millions enjoyed Downton.

why do you seem to despise things like the George Cross or National Anthems
Despising the symbols themselves would be strange. It’s what they represent and how they are often used as a means to exclude or separate people that I dislike.

or even English made programmes?
Who does this?

Is it dislike or is it recognition that it’s not as perfect as some would like to persuade us? Is it possible that the real patriots are those that wish for better rather than relaxing into the comfort of past supposed glories? Surely there’s a balance to be struck?

mudsticks

Squire

What is this English National anthem, of which you speak.

The Archers theme tune?

I'm English I was born in England , I live in England.

I usually say British if asked for my nationality.

The problem with a lot of the symbolism, and the attitudes is that it so often implies, that we 'the english' are in some way superior or more important than the rest of the UK .

Or even than the rest of the world.

Hence the 'exceptionalism,' problem, that in part led to brexit.

For example see how often people substitute English for British.

I'm afraid - like it or not -I associate The Cross of st George- -stout Turk that he was.

With seeing it being wrapped around mindlessly shouting footie fans, fluttering from aggressively driven vehicles, being displayed at racist marches, or stretched across the belly of a particular sort who seems to confuse patriotism, with nationalism.

Sorry it's just not classy.

England and the English has / have achieved many good things.

We've also done, and are doing some very bad things.
Some of which, a certain brand of h'englisher really doesn't want to acknowledge, or leven earn from.

Oh and compared with the other nations , our folk music is pretty rubbish.

swansonj

Regular
I don't deny the fact that I'm English (not even, or especially not, when I'm playing bagpipes^_^) but I am completely open in saying that I am ashamed, in fact increasingly ashamed as the years move on, to be English. I do not think the fact that I am born here and my identity is tied up so inextricably with this country requires me to suspend my critical faculties.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

I think, you have miss-understood.

1. I did not say I despised anything

2. I did not say I wished to deny being English (although, I would normally describe myself as British)

3. I dislike Nationalistic, jingoistic displays, flag waving etc, no matter which Nationality is doing it, nothing to do with being "English"

Milkfloat

I think overt Englishness still has connotations of the EDL, which for some may restrict the flag waving you get elsewhere in Great Britain, it is only 10 years ago that you needed permission from your local council to fly it. In addition we don't have a public holiday for our saint's day who was not even English. As to the wider embarrassment of being English, I don't think we need to shout about it, we outnumber "the provinces :angel:" significantly and the country seems to revolve around us. If you ask anyone outside of London they would probably complain that England revolves around London and maybe in London they complain about Westminster hogging the limelight.

It’s strange that people are quick to point the finger at say religion as a cause of major global conflict but seem to be blind to overt nationalism.
Populism feeds on nationalism and as I think most can clearly see, that around the world overt nationalism doesn’t lead to a peaceful existence.
What we need is LESS nationalism, not more….

Top Bottom