EU & Brexit Bunker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Yeah, it's about as reliable as a weather forecast 10 days out, and the EU is likely to have some significant challenges (as are all national governments), not least because of Trump screwing the whole world over because of his Iran war and hots for Putin.

That said, it's probably indicative of a return to not being terribly fussed about the EU and free movement of (white) Europeans.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Psamathe

Squire
That said, it's probably indicative of a return to not being terribly fussed about the EU and free movement of (white) Europeans.
I suspect "the EU" would need to see Fàrage settled in the US and Reform/Restore no more than academic research papers on "When things go wrong ...". They'd need to see a more sane Conservative Party, maybe GB News bankrupt and off-air and all that for several years with no signs of resurgence.

Ask them today and they'd just expect an endless cycle of join, leave, join, leave, etc. wasting vast effort from their negotiators and creating nothing but instability.
 

Pross

Guru
Surprised how few said they wouldn't vote considering what turnout is like in any election / referendum but then I guess people are embarassed to admit they wouldn't.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
I suspect "the EU" would need to see Fàrage settled in the US and Reform/Restore no more than academic research papers on "When things go wrong ...". They'd need to see a more sane Conservative Party, maybe GB News bankrupt and off-air and all that for several years with no signs of resurgence.

Ask them today and they'd just expect an endless cycle of join, leave, join, leave, etc. wasting vast effort from their negotiators and creating nothing but instability.

Yes, indeed. That said, these kinds of polls will be part of Burnham's landscape when he's thinking how to pitch the next election, even if the prospect of anything concrete happening is still a very long way off.
 

Psamathe

Squire
Yes, indeed. That said, these kinds of polls will be part of Burnham's landscape when he's thinking how to pitch the next election, even if the prospect of anything concrete happening is still a very long way off.
I'm no expert but I suspect our "rejoining" will be in stages, as many small steps as the process can be split into. If we can to European Single Market membership many of the harder steps will have been achieved and then a smoother path to full membership.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
I'm no expert but I suspect our "rejoining" will be in stages, as many small steps as the process can be split into. If we can to European Single Market membership many of the harder steps will have been achieved and then a smoother path to full membership.

I think that's the more likely way. I initially thought that that was going to be (one-time) Remainer Starmer's ploy, before he ended up chasing Reform voters, trapped (apparently willingly) by his own red lines.
 
Top Bottom