Footy violence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was on a flight to SA many years ago with a large contingent of footie fans. Needless to say the crew were kept busy running up and down the aisles handing out cans of beer like it was nobodies' business, About half way through the flight there were grumbles because they'd ran out of beer and why hadn't they packed-enough onboard...the flight attendant informed them they'd packed the regular amount for both outward and return journey and it had all gone! Fortunately they were good humoured about it....

I don't get the serving of alcohol on planes. It's just a cash cow for airlines. From a safety point of view whether it's an emergency or boorish behaviour it doesn't help. I suppose those who want to would get tanked up even more at the airport first though. It's horrible being sat anywhere with stroppy drunks, especially things like sports events, seated gigs, or planes where you can't move.

lazybloke

Regular
Football does attract an awful lot of hooligans. Why is that?
I don't think many of them are hooligans, but there are a lot of drunken louts whipped into a frenzy with the help of tribalism and lager. They seem to be mostly in pubs and gardens.

I doubt any of it is unique to football, but I don't recall posh twats at Wimbledon throwing Pimms in the air!

icowden

Legendary Member
I don't get the serving of alcohol on planes. It's just a cash cow for airlines.
Of course. It dates back a long way to when plane travel was a luxury and airlines were falling over themselves to provide exclusive facilities.
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/golden-age-flying-really-like/index.html
“So there were lounge areas, and the possibility of four, five, even six course meals. Olympic Airways had gold-plated cutlery in the first class cabins.

“Some of the American airlines had fashion shows down the aisle, to help the passengers pass the time. At one stage, there was talk of putting baby grand pianos on the aircraft to provide entertainment.”

The likes of Christian Dior, Chanel and Pierre Balmain were working with Air France, Olympic Airways and Singapore Airlines respectively to design crew uniforms.

Being a flight attendant – or a stewardess, as they were called until the 1970s – was a dream job.

“Flight crews looked like rock stars when they walked through the terminal, carrying their bags, almost in slow motion,” says designer and author of the book “Airline: Style at 30,000 Feet, Keith Lovegrove.”They were very stylish, and everybody was either handsome or beautiful.”
“When we flew on the jumbo jet, the first thing my brother and I would do was go up the spiral staircase to the top deck, and sit in the cocktail lounge.”

“This is the generation where you’d smoke cigarettes on board and you’d have free alcohol.

“I don’t want to put anyone in trouble, but at a young age we were served a schooner of sherry before our supper, then champagne and then maybe a digestive afterwards, all below drinking age.
“The food was spectacular and service was impeccable. We had ice swans in first class that we’d serve the caviar from, and Maxim’s of Paris [a renowned French restaurant] catered our food.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Football does attract an awful lot of hooligans. Why is that?

It is a mystery to me. Several years again, I was travelling, on business with a work colleague. I dint know him well, but, as far as I knew, he was a “decent person”, aged about 45, married, couple of children, Company Accountant, so, reasonably affluent. At one point during our 3 hour train journey, the subject turned to football (he was an avid Newcastle fan). I was horrified at his hatred and vicious talk about opposing fans. Strange old world. I am pleased to say, I have zero interest in it.

spen666

I don't think many of them are hooligans, but there are a lot of drunken louts whipped into a frenzy with the help of tribalism and lager. They seem to be mostly in pubs and gardens.

So what is a hooligan then.

What you describe is what I understand to be hooliganism

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I don't think many of them are hooligans,

Wikipedia: Hooliganism is disruptive or unlawful behavior such as rioting, bullying and vandalism, often in connection with crowds at sporting events. A hooligan is a person that engages in illicit reckless behaviors and is a public nuisance.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom