Footy violence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m genuinely puzzled as to what makes it this perfect outlet. There are many other team sports, none of which have anything like the levels of violence, aggression, and anti-social behaviour that come with football.

Or is it just the convenient excuse for thugs to vent their hatred?

This.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
And I bet they have all got Sky TV, 70" TVs smoke like chimneys, have expensive iPhone etc. etc......

In my day we had to listen to Mr Jones giving us a running commentary through the window as he watched the sport on the only B&W TV in the street.

You obviously didn’t understand my post, I am not interested in football and never have been. Therefore, no need to listen to the commentary. 😊

I’m genuinely puzzled.......There are many other team sports, none of which have anything like the levels of violence, aggression, and anti-social behaviour that come with football.
Football originated as a peasants game which was violent, boozy and had very few rules. It was more traditionally played by the working class. Though it has changed a lot for the better, there are still a minority who still like that aspect, and if they're not good enough to play then they will conduct their own mob football on the streets (just without a ball). Rugby for example, grew up in a posh school which not only had strict rules but also a code of conduct befitting gentleman. It was less accessible for the working class. The moral etiquette extended off the pitch as wel, which is I think why Rugby fans tend to be far better behaved. I would also say that percentage-wise, Rugby fans are probbaly more affluent/educated/refined than most football fans. A stark genralisation, but that is the feel I get from watching both sets of sports fans.

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
Football originated as a peasants game which was violent, boozy and had very few rules. It was more traditionally played by the working class.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the early games. Mayhem!

la-soule-normandy.jpg

La Soule being played in Normandy, France. Published in l’Illustration, 28 February 1852

spen666

.... The moral etiquette extended off the pitch as wel, which is I think why Rugby fans tend to be far better behaved. .....

You clearly were not watching Rugby League in the 1980s. The violence there was often equal to that at football matches of the era. Indeed in 1989, I had an acquaintance murdered in London by Rugby League fans after that years Rugby League Challenge Cup Final

AndyRM

Elder Goth
"Proper" football violence occurs nowhere near the grounds or fan parks (that's just pissed idiots fuelled by patriotic xenophobia).

Beebo

Veteran
You clearly were not watching Rugby League in the 1980s. The violence there was often equal to that at football matches of the era. Indeed in 1989, I had an acquaintance murdered in London by Rugby League fans after that years Rugby League Challenge Cup Final

League is a working class sport.
Union is what the toffs play.

Mr Celine

I have only once been hit by a missile at a sports ground. That was at Murrayfield where I was hit by a beer can during an international rugby union match.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Way back in the 60s my aunt would go to football matches equipped with one of these. Many of the fans had them. Strangely enough I don't remember reports of fatalities.
rattle.JPG

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Football originated as a peasants game which was violent, boozy and had very few rules. It was more traditionally played by the working class. Though it has changed a lot for the better, there are still a minority who still like that aspect, and if they're not good enough to play then they will conduct their own mob football on the streets (just without a ball). Rugby for example, grew up in a posh school which not only had strict rules but also a code of conduct befitting gentleman. It was less accessible for the working class. The moral etiquette extended off the pitch as wel, which is I think why Rugby fans tend to be far better behaved. I would also say that percentage-wise, Rugby fans are probbaly more affluent/educated/refined than most football fans. A stark genralisation, but that is the feel I get from watching both sets of sports fans.

Could be one of those apocryphal tales but I always thought that rugby started because someone picked the ball up and started running with it during a game of football?

Top Bottom