Footy violence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could be one of those apocryphal tales but I always thought that rugby started because someone picked the ball up and started running with it during a game of football?

Yes that's right (according to what I was taught anyway). It (Rugby) was then given proper rules and a code of gentlemanly conduct. I had a very good PE teacher at school who, when reffing for our school football games, would book anyone who swore or spat on the pitch. This is something he felt very strongly about and I've never heard or seen any other ref enforce this. It's an example of what I'd like to see more of in youth football because I believe it promotes respect for yourself, for other players and for anyone watching.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yes that's right (according to what I was taught anyway). It (Rugby) was then given proper rules and a code of gentlemanly conduct. I had a very good PE teacher at school who, when reffing for our school football games, would book anyone who swore or spat on the pitch. This is something he felt very strongly about and I've never heard or seen any other ref enforce this. It's an example of what I'd like to see more of in youth football because I believe it promotes respect for yourself, for other players and for anyone watching.

My dad reffed schoolboy rugby and football in much the same way. It shouldn't really have been allowed but he reffed a game I was playing in as there was nobody else available. I knew I was in for a hard time anyway, but I didn't expect him to send me off for a high hand off!

I mean it totally was but that's beside the point.

Ian H

Legendary Member
My old friend E is returning on a ferry from the Vatternrundan. She's surrounded by drunken, boorish footie fans and can't wait to get off. Apparently, on the outward journey, some Scots fans caused a a car smash, driving drunk and on the wrong side of the road (she isn't a football fan, though she has dragged me to a rugby match).

Having been on trains and buses with football and rugby fans the line between noisy, boisterous, but good natured excitement and frightening drunkeness that feels like it might kick off at any minute is pretty thin. I hope your friend is ok. Bad enough in a town centre, worse in an enclosed space.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
My old friend E is returning on a ferry from the Vatternrundan. She's surrounded by drunken, boorish footie fans and can't wait to get off. Apparently, on the outward journey, some Scots fans caused a a car smash, driving drunk and on the wrong side of the road (she isn't a football fan, though she has dragged me to a rugby match).

That'd be this (probably): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1wwq1v3854o

I'm not in any way condoning it, but if they'd had a pint before their flight they'd have fallen foul of Germany's zero tolerance drink driving laws.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Flat-roofed as well.
Filched from Instagram.
Screenshot_20240624-090247.png

Ian H

Legendary Member
Maybe they have the radio commentary on too? It's usually better than what the TV has to offer and they wanted to make a point of it?

Of course. I'm surprised anyone would think otherwise.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Openly racist chants seem to have almost completely gone from the UK stadiums.
I would hope that these bad taste chants can go too, it will just take time and education.

This is a bit of a tangent I suppose, but here we go.

One of the Killie chants has a properly contentious line in it (which I don't personally sing, and it's kind of getting phased out by the young team who've brought newer and more inventive songs).

"We are Killie, Ayrshire Killie,
No-one likes us, we don't care,
We hate Ayr,
Black bastards"

In the area, "black" is an old school word for dirty/unclean, and Ayr happen to play in black and white. So in context it's fair enough. But it really doesn't sound great and context doesn't count for much really.

Our club captain is black, so I can't imagine he's much of a fan of it either.

Having been on trains and buses with football and rugby fans the line between noisy, boisterous, but good natured excitement and frightening drunkeness that feels like it might kick off at any minute is pretty thin. I hope your friend is ok. Bad enough in a town centre, worse in an enclosed space.

Was on a flight to SA many years ago with a large contingent of footie fans. Needless to say the crew were kept busy running up and down the aisles handing out cans of beer like it was nobodies' business, About half way through the flight there were grumbles because they'd ran out of beer and why hadn't they packed-enough onboard...the flight attendant informed them they'd packed the regular amount for both outward and return journey and it had all gone! Fortunately they were good humoured about it....

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
I am pleasantly surprised by the lack of football violence as we enter the final stages.
Long may it continue.

There's been a shocking number of beer cups thrown at players round the corner flags - some of them full o' beer.
The fact that this is notable is a Good Thing - normally there would be much bigger stories around bad behaviour.

Top Bottom