Fussy eaters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Shred, fry with onion, mushrooms, hazelnuts, and sage. Add a little vegetable stock and cover with mashed potato. Bake. Thank me later.

I might consider that if mushrooms didn't make me want to vomit. And what's with all the boiling and mashing and shredding? They need to keep at least some of their identity. My kids love 'em.

Last edited:

Ian H

Guru
I'm fussy enough to complain in a restaurant if the food is not up to standard. I tend not to do that with friends cooking though (not that I'd have much occasion to).
But I'll eat almost anything if it's properly prepared.

D

Deleted member 49

Southern Comfort still does that for me, even though it's over thirty years since the unfortunate night.
Now you mention drink..
Pernod for me...had a unfortunate incident as a teenager with a litre bottle of that stuff ! Can't even stand the smell now.

icowden

Legendary Member
Me too, along with semolina, sago and anything similar. Primary school force feeding trauma, literally.
Custard for me. Same reason. You *had* to have desert. If you didn't like the desert on offer then you had to have custard. Weirdly, the only exception to this is if I have made the custard myself, and can put it straight onto chocolate pudding without delay. Definitely psychological.

On the other hand some foods and textures make me feel quite ill. Even the smell of Peanuts will make me have. Hazlenuts and almonds make me feel physically sick if I can taste them. Don't like the texture of rice or lentils or pinto beans. I prefer crisp foods - don't really like soggy things. Also don't like soggy things touching crisp things - baked beans should be served in a ramekin if having a full English in my humble opinion!

Some of the above may be a reflection that I think I am somewhat neurodiverse (no diagnosis though).

Alcohol I don't have a problem with, although there isn't much that I actually like, and I have no interest in getting drunk. I have to like the taste of something to enjoy it. Some red wines, most ciders, mead, some sweeter cocktails, and oddly enough - whiskey / whisky (although I prefer flavourful smooth ones rather than peaty ones).

Going back to the OP however, if invited to dinner I will eat what I can, to be polite. Usually if going to a dinner or a work event where there will be "canapes" or some such, I'll make sure I eat something before I go so I don't get hungry.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Über Member
Don't like the texture of rice or lentils or pinto beans. I prefer crisp foods - don't really like soggy things.

I tried socca in Nice, there's nothing much to it, certainly nothing that would give me any pause for thought. We even read a load of reviews to find the best street food place to give it a go.
Oh my, it could have only been the texture, I did my best but was gagging after every mouthful xx(.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Southern Comfort still does that for me, even though it's over thirty years since the unfortunate night.

My one and only comestible gag-reaction - forty-one years after the traumatic event, the stench of that muck still gives me the dry boak.

Anything else ingestible (within my current experience), I'll have what I'm given & I'll like it.

Salty seadog

My one and only comestible gag-reaction - forty-one years after the traumatic event, the stench of that muck still gives me the dry boak.

Anything else ingestible (within my current experience), I'll have what I'm given & I'll like it.

Southern Comfort Reserve, half southern comfort half Jack Daniels.

Don't know if they still make it.

Top Bottom