Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you want to talk about only safeguarding, the fact that men comit the vast majority of sexual assaults, in every country, in every culture, and have done since records began, is actually quite a lot of use. It tells us that men are the common risk factor. And transwomen pose the same risk as any other man.

The reason why most victims of sexual assault are known to the victim is that sex crimes are usually opportunistic crimes. You aren't going to reduce them by normalising males in female spaces like changing rooms, and thus increasing the opportunity, whilst simultaneously making it harder for women to have them removed.

The basis of the risk assessment is biological sex, not appearance. If you're claiming women have less to fear from male strangers than male partners or friends, surely all males should have access to all women's single sex spaces not just transwomen.

multitool

As I said, it's an utter red-herring.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
You believe in eternal souls
No I don't. That's Greek and pagan.

A 'soul' is a breathing body, a living being. So too animals. The soul or life is in the blood.
...and Space Ghosts
Wrong again.

You can invoke God as the creator of life, but the categories of male and female are a matter of scientific observation. Biology.

I maintain that physical reality trumps the ideas in a person's head. You cannot self ID as old if you are actually young and expect to able to claim a state pension. Having a makeover won't do the trick, won't change reality, the truth.

monkers

Legendary Member

A 'soul' is a breathing body, a living being. So too animals. The soul or life is in the blood.

Wrong again.

You can invoke God as the creator of life, but the categories of male and female are a matter of scientific observation. Biology.

I maintain that physical reality trumps the ideas in a person's head. You cannot self ID as old if you are actually young and expect to able to claim a state pension. Having a makeover won't do the trick, won't change reality, the truth.

Does it not follow that scientific reality trumps notions of God? Or is that too inconvenient?

multitool

Not so. Early Christians adopted the Orphic idea of immortal soul. This was carried on throughout the middle ages and was referred to in the Westminster Confession of Faith of the mid 1600s.

Sure, there are Christian mortalists or psychopannychists if you prefer.

Clearly Christianity as a doctrine is merely a series of post hoc rationalisation and revisions when confronted with scientific and philosophical advances. But the point remains, you can't in all seriousness make comments about reality when your core beliefs do not bear any relation to it.

Non sequitur

I maintain that physical reality trumps the ideas in a person's head.

So shut up about your ridiculous Space Ghosts then

multitool

I mean I often use my penis as a towel substitute. Don't you?

Anyway, must dash. Just done the washing up and I having finished drying.

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ddie-Izzard-introduces-new-feminine-name.html

Eddie Izzard has introduced her new feminine name [Suzy] which she has wanted to use since she was 10 years old.

The comedian and aspiring MP, 61, revealed she now alternates between her original name and a new moniker but says people can choose which name they want to address her by.
She said: 'I’m Eddie. There’s another name I’m going to add in as well, which is Suzy, which I wanted to be since I was 10. I’m going to be Suzy Eddie Izzard.'

Eddie then added: 'That’s how I’m going to roll, so people can choose what they want. They can’t make a mistake, they can’t go wrong.'

Eddie previously said to Huffington Post: 'I spent 50 years predominantly in boy mode, so let’s try the next 50 in girl mode.

'It’s just a language adjustment. And no one should get het up about it.

'I’m still gender fluid and I tell everyone that’s supported me, "Relax people, he or she, it doesn’t really matter." The pronoun thing isn’t the important thing, the important thing was coming out [as trans] back in 1985, that was the tough time.'

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ddie-Izzard-introduces-new-feminine-name.html

Eddie Izzard has introduced her new feminine name [Suzy] which she has wanted to use since she was 10 years old.

The comedian and aspiring MP, 61, revealed she now alternates between her original name and a new moniker but says people can choose which name they want to address her by.
She said: 'I’m Eddie. There’s another name I’m going to add in as well, which is Suzy, which I wanted to be since I was 10. I’m going to be Suzy Eddie Izzard.'

Eddie then added: 'That’s how I’m going to roll, so people can choose what they want. They can’t make a mistake, they can’t go wrong.'

Eddie previously said to Huffington Post: 'I spent 50 years predominantly in boy mode, so let’s try the next 50 in girl mode.

'It’s just a language adjustment. And no one should get het up about it.

'I’m still gender fluid and I tell everyone that’s supported me, "Relax people, he or she, it doesn’t really matter." The pronoun thing isn’t the important thing, the important thing was coming out [as trans] back in 1985, that was the tough time.'

It's a bit of revisionism to suggest that Izzard 'came out as trans' back in 1985, isn't it? Long after that he was still doing jokes about being a lesbian trapped in a man's body and saying things like 'they're not women's clothes - they're mine'. I thought the latter was a good line, actually, but all I know is that I won't be backing Suzy or Eddie's candidacy in whatever safe seat she or he gets parachuted into at the next GE.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
It's a bit of revisionism to suggest that Izzard 'came out as trans' back in 1985, isn't it? Long after that he was still doing jokes about being a lesbian trapped in a man's body and saying things like 'they're not women's clothes - they're mine'. I thought the latter was a good line, actually, but all I know is that I won't be backing Suzy or Eddie's candidacy in whatever safe seat she or he gets parachuted into at the next GE.

He seems to have come out as trans slowly over a period of decades. Which is understandable and absolutely fine, but I think it does both him and the wider trans community a bit of a disservice to suggest that he came out all those years ago.

It was quite funny when I saw him on some American late night show a couple of months ago and he kept going on about being trans but the host, I forget who, obviously couldn't have given a toss and just wanted to talk about other stuff.

The main issue I have with Eddie Izzard is that the last standup show I watched of his simply wasn't very good.

Ian H

Legendary Member

It all seems a bit self-obsessive, rather like a piece of smug, safe performance art. Women may see it differently, I don't know.

Since this thread has been reopened and before it descends again into the ghoulish spectacle that inevitably it will, here's an article about the term 'cisgender', written by the person who claims to have coined the term.

And guess what, they were inspired by stereochemistry as it happens. So yay.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-cisgender-means-transgender_n_63e13ee0e4b01e9288730415

However well intentioned the creator of the word was, the idea that there are 'cis' women and 'trans' women inevitably renders biological women a sub set of their own sex. And seeing as the basis of women's oppression is their sexed body it's hardly surprising that many women find it an offensive term as it suggests men, who don't face that oppression, can be women.

I wonder how far the author would have got if they'd told black people they were cis black and people like Rachel Dolezal were trans black.

121678902_189007196051146_4131872862791994099_n.jpg

Top Bottom