Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
Who am I kidding? What on earth makes you think I care less what you think? Have I not been clear enough?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Feminists are going to be in for a shock if/when trans rights disappear, because the moral standards brigade will not be finished...
Why trans people first? Because the right wing can engage some feminists in the 'struggle' on this issue. The next battles over women's rights will be fiercer.

It wasn't trans people first. The US right wing have been working to roll back abortion rights for 30 years, long before the issues discussed in this thread were even contentious.

This idea that women shouldn't talk about their concerns in case the right wing jump on the band wagon is just another way of shutting down the debate. It's a protection racket that says 'Just say transwomen are women and nobody gets hurt'. Suggesting that abortion rights and LGB rights are contingent on going along with the denial of reality is nonsense.

multitool

Shaman
You know, I actually agree with all of that, almost.

The problem being that your particular small faction of people (because it isn't 'women' as a body, and it includes some men) need to disavow support from those who would then go on to attack women's rights.

There are women who realise this. Women who see the putative threat of TW as a phantom threat and an utter distraction from the real issues facing women.

monkers

Guru
It wasn't trans people first. The US right wing have been working to roll back abortion rights for 30 years, long before the issues discussed in this thread were even contentious.

This idea that women shouldn't talk about their concerns in case the right wing jump on the band wagon is just another way of shutting down the debate. It's a protection racket that says 'Just say transwomen are women and nobody gets hurt'. Suggesting that abortion rights and LGB rights are contingent on going along with the denial of reality is nonsense.

Shutting down? No. There's nothing wrong with saying be careful what you wish for. The USA moral panic brigade had been going at the abortion rights for a while. These days they are well-funded and have managed to get their own into positions of political power. It's on its way here too. Sorry if you can't see it for yourself. At the moment moral absolutists are convenient for you with the shared 'concern'; it won't be staying that way.

In the UK we are increasingly becoming more like the USA Republican hard right.

mudsticks

Squire
I don't think it too simplistic at all. It's just as being played out on here, on this thread. I guess you can say that there is another group of trans people and a few allies who also use their voice that I didn't point to, but as the target group their opposition is obvious.

What I'm talking about is what is exactly was has been playing out on this thread. AS coming from one particular wave of feminism and the social contract argument, Unkraut coming from the moral standard. The majority of the voices here are coming from moderates who show support for trans people against the incoming groups of opponents. I'm sure you can name them.

Feminists are going to be in for a shock if/when trans rights disappear, because the moral standards brigade will not be finished; indeed they'll be coming for other women's rights like abortion, sex work, etc. It's happening in the USA already, and the fight is intensifying in the UK.

Why trans people first? Because the right wing can engage some feminists in the 'struggle' on this issue. The next battles over women's rights will be fiercer.

Saying that 'feminists' are going to be in for a shock when etc etc , seems to suggest that you think that the vast majority of feminists don't already support transrights in the vast majority of cases.

It's just that some feminists have some concerns some of the time.

That's nuance, and women, humans even, for you..

We already see and already fight against those who would diminish our rights as women.

It's not like we're sitting here going 'Great women's rights' and equality are all sorted already.
'We only have to defend the citidel'
Because we're clearly not done.

Most of the time the opposition to feminism, and transrights comes from the same patriachal headquarters who would see the status quo be maintained, or re established where it may have been (in their view) already breached.

But just now and then, us feminists are allowed to have the occasional question mark over certain of our necessary boundaries being breached, in other spheres.

It's as if we're allowed to have individual voices, thoughts and feelings.

We don't need a lecture on 'Who the real enemy is' - it's not like we don't come up against them every day.

multitool

Shaman
Yet like a bad coin, you keep returning.

You keep quoting my posts. I get an alert so I have a look.

If you look very carefully you'll notice the only posts of yours to which I respond are the ones where you quote me, and nothing else. So the proverbial bad penny is actually you.

Fück me, is there anybody on this forum more desperate for attention than you? :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom