Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Isn't the point though that the whole "man" or "woman" thing becomes pointless with self-ID? I can be a woman on Tuesdays abut a man on Wednesdays if I want.

Please could you explain why I cannot be Martha on Tuesdays and Arthur on Wednesdays now?

Self-ID makes no difference at all.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
How is that related to gender and transitioning?

There's a mahoosive moral panic afoot. People who scrawl 'dirty perverts' across shop windows tend not to be too interested in the nuances of distinction between various LGBTQ identities.

monkers

Legendary Member
How is that related to gender and transitioning?

Hate crime of various kinds is rising across the UK. The LGBTiQ community have been one community facing tough times. These incidents are not only reported in the LGBTIQ press, the reports are frequent in local newpapers, just not in the mainly right wing national press.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/...me-doubles-lewisham-bromley-bexley-greenwich/

The victims of these crimes and others in the affected communities feel certain of one thing, that the referendum emboldened these people. PMs like Johnson and Sunak, MPs like the ones that PMs promote to the cabinet office have all expressed homophobic and transphobic sentiments.

Mhairi Black's speech in the House of Commons was measured and well-judged. This is how it is ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVZ3QwA5wy8

icowden

Legendary Member
Do you really understand that little about social intolerance and prejudice? :laugh:
Do you really understand that what appears to be an attack on gay men would seem to have nothing to do with gender ideology?

You do know that gay men and lesbian women are not transgender right? Some of them would quite like to be disassociated from the TQUIA+ bit I understand. I can't find any recorded compelling single reason why there is an increase in hate crime against the gay community. I think the increase against the Trans community is almost certainly linked to a backlash against the culture of cancellation and "demands" from groups that nominally link themselves to trans rights (as distinct from people who are actually trans). Tolerance seems in short measure at the moment, and a combination of Brexit and Lockdown seems to have really freed up some of the most intolerant people in society to do their thing.

There are also odd and unfair parallels being drawn between trans women and drag queens which would appear to be imported manufactured outrage from the very Conservative US of A.

I still don't think that the link you posted is relevant to the topic being discussed / shouted about (delete as applicable)

multitool

Pharaoh
"Gender ideology".

When you wake up in the morning, and you don't put on a dress, remind yourself that the only reason you aren't is because of an ideology you hold.

You are incredibly naive, icow.

monkers

Legendary Member
Do you really understand that what appears to be an attack on gay men would seem to have nothing to do with gender ideology?

You do know that gay men and lesbian women are not transgender right? Some of them would quite like to be disassociated from the TQUIA+ bit I understand. I can't find any recorded compelling single reason why there is an increase in hate crime against the gay community. I think the increase against the Trans community is almost certainly linked to a backlash against the culture of cancellation and "demands" from groups that nominally link themselves to trans rights (as distinct from people who are actually trans). Tolerance seems in short measure at the moment, and a combination of Brexit and Lockdown seems to have really freed up some of the most intolerant people in society to do their thing.

There are also odd and unfair parallels being drawn between trans women and drag queens which would appear to be imported manufactured outrage from the very Conservative US of A.

I still don't think that the link you posted is relevant to the topic being discussed / shouted about (delete as applicable)

The latest House of Commons Briefing Paper on hate crime - published 2nd November 2022 shows increases in all area under the Tories.

Race +156%
Religion +294%
LGB +328%
Disability +469%
Trans +794%

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8537/CBP-8537.pdf

What 'ideology' is - it's the self-justification of holding sufficient hatred to commit hate crimes, usually with reliance on lies.

What 'ideology' isn't - the right to live your life under the convention laws.

Terrorists have ideology. Trans people are not terrorists, they are the victims of terrorists. Victim blaming is not cool.

Last edited:

multitool

Pharaoh
Maybe the staggering rise in attacks on gay people is a reaction to "gay ideology"?

Maybe icow will have a sudden moment of self-awareness.

Maybe not.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I read through this thread on occasion with a bleak set of spectacles on. The queer and alternative community has been consistently targeted, persecuted and vilified. Is it any wonder we're a bit hacked off by this?

multitool

Pharaoh
I wonder if icow will pause to reflect on gay rights, and the fight against prejudice and the right to not be beaten up for who you are, were not won by gay people hiding and keeping quiet.

Perhaps he'll take a moment to consider that trans people are going through exactly the same thing now and the way he frames trans people is exactly the same as how homophobic bigots frame gay people, now, and in previous decades.

monkers

Legendary Member
noun, plural i·de·ol·o·gies.
the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group.
such a body of doctrine, myth, etc., with reference to some political and social plan, as that of fascism, along with the devices for putting it into operation.
Philosophy.
  1. the study of the nature and origin of ideas.
  2. a system that derives ideas exclusively from sensation.
theorizing of a visionary or impractical nature.

The belligerent are maintaining that 'woke' people want peace because of their 'ideology'. Therefore we must target 'woke' people with a 'war on woke'. Woke is nonsense, climate change a load of rubbish, environmentalism an evil. People who support these things through protest are terrorists and the state must imprison them.

This week a Bill to curb the activities of protestors became an Act. The next day the Home Secretary introduced a statutory instrument to vary that act. Slow walking as a peaceful means of protest is now illegal punishable with a prison sentence of up to five years I believe.

One tactic of the far right is to invert everything we previously learned and understood. British people are falling for it, sucking it up and voting for it. Why? Because fascism is proven as a successful recruitment model.

Anyone who mentions this 'f' word is 'going too far. Fascism is not a binary, not on or off, it creeps up on you, but don't look up.

Campaign in the UK using your platform saying asylum seekers are 'cockroaches', elect a government who say that they will call asylume seekers 'illegals' and send them to Rwanda. Say or suggest that disabled people are 'swinging the lead', say 'British workers are lazy', say that 'single parents are feckless', clap nurses for their dedication, then take them to court for claiming living pay and conditions, say that it's 'charming to see poor people helping each other at the foodbanks' as you cruise past from the back seat of your Bentley, and indoctrinate the masses to say that 'trans people have an ideology', are 'mentally ill', are 'freaks', 'deviants', 'sick perverts', 'rapists', 'child abusers', 'groomers'.

Then justify all of this as free speech rather than hate speech. What do you have? Creeping fascism. Evidence? Referendum campaign and result. The UK has been on a journey, but the polls say that more people are becoming 'woke', but many have no confidence in the system.

Top Bottom