Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some beliefs, some of the time. I’m quite enjoying your argument that Linehan’s beliefs outweigh the material reality of his vileness BTW.

Obviously it's some beliefs. See above links. It's not his beliefs per se, it's the right of anybody not to be refused goods and services because they hold beliefs which are protected in law. Do you honestly want someone's personal subjective assessment of 'vileness' to be the criteria by which people are allowed to decide who they rent rooms to, who they serve in pubs, who they let play on their team?

Who gets to decide who is vile enough to have their booking cancelled and who isn't?

Who gets to decide who is vile enough to have their booking cancelled and who isn't?
The venue management, obviously.

I was really just using her as an example of putting responsibility on the channel, which I see as analogous to the venue.
Funny that you would pluck that person out of the millions on Twitter to give an opinion ........Nah, you thought you were quoting an actual lawyer and imagined it was some legal slam dunk.

Here's a law lecturer explaining the relevant case law, as opposed to someone who has taken legal action against many people and lost a libel case against the Daily Mail.

View: https://twitter.com/michaelpforan/status/1655894725231083520

icowden

Legendary Member
The venue management, obviously.
But the basis does seem a little weak.
They knew the show would feature "controversial" voices.

But as LInehan has said:-
He added: 'I have been fighting this for five years.
'All I have been doing is arguing that women need single-sex spaces, children don't need medical intervention to be happy and women deserve fair sports and not be inundated with death threats for standing up against it.'
Those views don't seem *hugely* controversial at all. Some might say they are common sense. Obviously there is a little more to it than that - Linehan does get a little preachy and over aggressive in his defences and doesn't do enough research before posting. But he's hardly the far right calling for things to be banned, or people to be strung up.

So just down to personal subjective opinion?

As a private business, yes, unless there is evidence or a pattern that indicates that discrimination laws have been transgressed.

Top Bottom