Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I would concur.

I also concur but...

The issue here is that the venues were quite happy to have the show booked. They only changed their mind when they saw the line-up that had been booked. If they had an issue with "un-woke" comedians they shouldn't have booked the show in the first place. To cancel it based on the line up after they had agreed to the show taking place, is censorship. For the same reason, the Pleasance shouldn't have cancelled Jerry Sadowitz. Every comedian in the country knows that Jerry's shows are going to contain stuff that is extreme and that he will get his genitals out. The show was literally entitled "Jerry Sadowitz - Not for anyone".

The *only* reason that they cancelled once they know Graham Linehan was on the line up was because they knew that the trans-evangelists would make a scene. I'll stick to my long stated position that no-one is forced to go and see a show. If you don't like the views of the people performing you don't go. Getting placards out and trying to stop the show itself is censorship plain and simple.

It's a measure of exactly how toxic Linehan is though. The venue were happy to host controversial material which in the current climate they must have known was probably going to include some tedious opinions regarding gender. But hosting Graham Linehan was just a step too far for them.

Why doesn't he just organise his own event/tour? What's stopping him? Inevitably, a landlord has a right to refuse who they wish to have on their premises unless you want to force this issue? Roy Chubby Brown manages to tour and he's had his own stumbling blocks to contend with given the nature of his content being "of the time" perhaps... Just sayin'
He's not a stand up as such. Nobody has to offer to book anybody - there are lots of ways to get out of supplying goods and services to people on whatever criteria you like - but once you've booked them you can't bin them off just for their beliefs/opinions without it being discrimination in law (with a few exceptions).

That you guys seem to want personal prejudice to be legal is very odd.

Last edited:

classic33

A council in West Yorkshire has denied stifling free speech by removing some books from its library shelves.
A Conservative councillor compared Labour-run Calderdale Council to a "totalitarian state" after claims gender-critical books had been taken off display in its libraries.
But cabinet member Jenny Lynn said the decision to remove "certain books" was "not a political" one.
She described it as the "consequence of an internal human resources matter".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66441947

icowden

Legendary Member
. Scots comedian Janey Godley has made racist and anti-semitic jokes. Still gets booked, still on TV.
To be fair, she did absolutely own everything she had said, stated that it was wrong and apologised for it. She didn't make excuses or offer mitigating circumstances. It says a lot for her own integrity. There is almost certainly an element of sympathy to allowing her to be booked given that she has Stage 3 Ovarian cancer. I wouldn't therefore include her with the others.

D

Deleted member 121

but once you've booked them you can't bin them off just for their beliefs/opinions without it being discrimination in law (with a few exceptions).

It's happened numerous times before. Chubby Brown himself at the Sheffield City Hall to name one. As to the legality of such a move, I don't believe anyone of these "controversial comedians" are likely to have success in a legal challenge.

That you guys seem to want personal prejudice to be legal is very odd.

I don't.

RCB would have to prove he was cancelled because of his beliefs. Pretty hard to prove that telling jokes about black people is a belief protected under law. Linehan and co would have to prove the booking was cancelled because of his beliefs about sex etc. Probably easier to prove, though hardly worth his time and money as the point has already been made in the public arena.

D

Deleted member 121

RCB would have to prove he was cancelled because of his beliefs. Pretty hard to prove that telling jokes about black people is a belief protected under law. Linehan and co would have to prove the booking was cancelled because of his beliefs about sex etc. Probably easier to prove, though hardly worth his time and money as the point has already been made in the public arena.

Well quite. When a significant number of ticket holders make complaints about Linehan and his views at that event, it would be difficult to claim that the organisers didn't have cause to cancel his appearance based on his views. Both would get nowhere in any case.

icowden

Legendary Member
RCB would have to prove he was cancelled because of his beliefs. Pretty hard to prove that telling jokes about black people is a belief protected under law.
And to be fair, he doesn't really do that. Most of his material is sex / knob jokes. Some of it very dated.
https://www.johns-jokes.com/chubby-brown-quotes-and-quotations-from-roy

This is a pretty typical selection (I did go to a Chubby gig at Wimbledon Theatre about 30 years ago at the behest of a friend. It didn't go very well with Chubby being unable to respond to hecklers other than by refusing to go back on stage until they shut up.

Linehan and co would have to prove the booking was cancelled because of his beliefs about sex etc. Probably easier to prove, though hardly worth his time and money as the point has already been made in the public arena.
I think they could easily prove it was cancelled because of Linehan's presence.

D

Deleted member 121

And to be fair, he doesn't really do that. Most of his material is sex / knob jokes. Some of it very dated.
https://www.johns-jokes.com/chubby-brown-quotes-and-quotations-from-roy

This is a pretty typical selection (I did go to a Chubby gig at Wimbledon Theatre about 30 years ago at the behest of a friend. It didn't go very well with Chubby being unable to respond to hecklers other than by refusing to go back on stage until they shut up.

I think they could easily prove it was cancelled because of Linehan's presence.

He does it all. But what else would you expect from him?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jmb4k4/roy-chubby-brown-gig-133

Pale Rider

Veteran
A Chubby Brown interview is played as light relief at Northumbria Police training events.

While appearing at the Sunderland Empire, Brown was arrested over an allegation of domestic violence.

The copper asked him: "Why did you hit your wife with the candlestick?"

Brown replied: "Because I couldn't lift the sideboard."

Which is terribly un-PC and all the rest of it, but in the context of a taped interview under caution, it does show a certain wit.

Top Bottom