Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
If being trans is neither an illness nor a mental health issue, why does it require a lifetime of drugs and often surgery? Which other non illnesses do we treat by removing healthy body parts?

Clarify that first part!
And state your own qualifications in both fields, for being able to say that.

It is the trans idols who are claiming Aurora post.

If being being trans has always been clear, then why does it take non reversible drugs, surgery, should it not have been natural ?

That's because it doesn't exist only in an altered mental reality

multitool

Pharaoh
If being being trans has always been clear, then why does it take non reversible drugs, surgery, should it not have been natural ?
That's because it doesn't exist only in an altered mental reality

Wow. Deep.

CXRAndy

Guru
I hadn't realised trans was infectious.

There was a recruiting conference in the USA for women in technology. There was suddenly a contagious outbreak of Non binary-ism, as the the conference was flooded with young men identifying as NOBI. :laugh:

The fluidity of job recruitment :whistle:

Clarify that first part!
And state your own qualifications in both fields, for being able to say that.

Others on here are claiming that it isn't a mental health condition, not me. It's been previously claimed that there is no test for being transgender and no diagnosis. It's simply self id as transgender. So again I would ask why it requires the removal of healthy body parts and a lifetime of drugs?

What's your expertise in the field of being a woman that qualifies you to tell me that men can be women?

icowden

Legendary Member
SCA is a serious illness that requires medical attention. DSDs are not an illness.
No. They are a medical condition.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...DSD,, developmental programming, and hormones.
Disorders of sexual development (DSD) encompass a group of congenital conditions associated with atypical development of internal and external genital structures. These conditions can be associated with variations in genes, developmental programming, and hormones. Affected individuals may be recognized at birth due to ambiguity of the external genitalia. Others may present later with postnatal virilization, delayed/absent puberty, or infertility.

The reason that they are a medical condition is that they usually need some sort of medical treatment.

icowden

Legendary Member
People who happen to have a DSD, such as Lyss, deserve to be spoken about in ways that do not just focus on what you perceive as an abnormality, but instead as a naturally occurring variation. DSDs are said to have about the same prevalence as natural red hair.
As far as I am aware people with red hair don't tend to be infertile or die during puberty without medical intervention. So yes, it is a naturally occurring variation but it is still an abnormality of development.

icowden

Legendary Member
Being trans isn't an illness.
So why do trans people need clinics, surgical intervention and hormone treatment?

Surely we should be closing down the Tavistock and all the mental health services put in place for people that are Trans. Think of the money we could save!

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
So why do trans people need clinics, surgical intervention and hormone treatment?

Surely we should be closing down the Tavistock and all the mental health services put in place for people that are Trans. Think of the money we could save!

Some trans people have mental health issues, some don't. Access to mental health services based on any kind of discrimination is a slippery slope.

Some trans people choose surgical or medical intervention, some don't. Admittedly it's probably more in the former camp, but I don't have statistics for that, if they even exist.

It's pretty simple though: being trans is not an illness, saying it is creates unhelpful stigma.

icowden

Legendary Member
It's pretty simple though: being trans is not an illness, saying it is creates unhelpful stigma.
So how would you categorise being so unhappy with your physical body that you want to permanently alter it?

Personally I cannot see how that can be categorised as a normal healthy state of being.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
So how would you categorise being so unhappy with your physical body that you want to permanently alter it?

Personally I cannot see how that can be a normal state of being.

Good luck defining "normal". People modify their bodies for all kinds of reasons.

Body dysphoria is a mental health issue though, surely (though obviously not every person's body dysphoria is about their sex). But if you are going to say there's nothing to diagnose, no need for the person to have dysphoria, ie it's basically a choice, then you can't really complain when people get upset when those men who say they are trans make demands to be in women's spaces and services. I think the push back comes from these demands, not because people think it is an illness.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Body dysphoria is a mental health issue though, surely (though obviously not every person's body dysphoria is about their sex). But if you are going to say there's nothing to diagnose, no need for the person to have dysphoria, ie it's basically a choice, then you can't really complain when people get upset when those men who say they are trans make demands to be in women's spaces and services. I think the push back comes from these demands, not because people think it is an illness.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that being trans is not an illness.

Top Bottom