Growth of Private Healthcare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Regular
My experience of the private sector is that they're only interested in queue jumpers and the worried well, if you're looking for anything as contentious as a second opinion they don't want to know.

I had an account with Babylon a while back but it was a waste of money, every time I asked them anything they just told me to go to my (NHS) GP. It was the same when I wanted a CT scan reviewed, every private health company in the UK refused. More recently I'm trying to get an appointment with a neurologist, but again, I can't get one without an NHS referral and even if I do they won't review NHS MRI scans.

I had a second opinion via the NHS a decade ago, and

The trouble with that is that you then have a monopoly, in fact, the problem with healthcare in this country is that we already do have a monopoly for the majority who can't afford private. Even for those who can afford private, they're still dealing with the same NHS doctors. The conflict of interest in having HMG as the funder, provider, regulator, inspector, and policeman of healthcare ought to be obvious, but it apparently isn't.

Every time anyone tries to start a debate about how healthcare is run in this country they just get the American system thrown in their face, but nobody else in the world does healthcare like either the USA or the NHS, they're both odd ones out. There's no reason why healthcare has to be state owned and run in order to make it free at the point of use.

I'm in Canada at the moment. Health Care insurance funded, free at the point of use. Private Health care not allowed. GP claims from insurance direct, not patient. Hospitals self governing with hybrid state and province funding and claims to insurance for care.

D1 and D2 have both had excellent seemless service, including fully funded extensive physio (a key NHS failing)

Badger_Boom

The private sector has an advantage over the NHS in that it can afford to pinch fully trained staff that the NHS can ill afford to lose.

And select patients who are less likely to need expensive and complicated aftercare.

matticus

Guru
I'm in Canada at the moment. Health Care insurance funded, free at the point of use. Private Health care not allowed
Blimey - I've never heard of that!

Do the wealthy indulge in health tourism to get round this?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'm in Canada at the moment. Health Care insurance funded, free at the point of use. Private Health care not allowed. GP claims from insurance direct, not patient. Hospitals self governing with hybrid state and province funding and claims to insurance for care.

D1 and D2 have both had excellent seemless service, including fully funded extensive physio (a key NHS failing)

Interesting.

May I ask:

1. are the Insurers private enterprises too?

2. If yes to 1., then, the old chestnut, how are those born with, (or, developing) expensive and/or long term illness/injury dealt with?

presta

A public health-care 'monopoly' that works for all, free at the point of use, and is affordable to the nation would be a good start.

There will always be room for alternatively funded services but we need to make sure that the basic health-care service is in place for all and fit for purpose. I agree that there are many ways to achieve this.....
The problem with the NHS is the lack of accountability and refusal to change working practices. There is an endless stream of health scandals, but they just carry on with business as usual and nothing ever changes. In my view the lack of accountability stems from the lack of demand from a public that just hero-worships them.
Blimey - I've never heard of that!
That's the problem, whenever there's an attempt at a healthcare debate people seem to think that the US is the only alternative to the NHS.

Ian H

Guru
25 minutes on the phone: You are at queue position...four...in the queue – interspersed with repeated spiel about online services.

Top Bottom