HM Gov vs Free Speech : who will win??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
There seem to be attacks on free speech from various directions.

View: https://twitter.com/DiEM_25/status/1653009767978217474

Whatever you think about the cause, his actions, or even the conviction and sentence, the punishment handed down was loss of freedom to go home to his family, not the loss of his voice. What next? Cut his tongue out?

And people say the establishment isn’t corrupt or extreme.

Salty seadog

This latest episode of the JSO "story arc" has ghasted my flabber even more:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...warned-not-talk-media-prison?CMP=share_btn_tw

"The environmental activist Marcus Decker has been warned he will lose all privileges if he talks to the media from prison"

There's not enough info there. I doubt he's no access to the press. AIUI he conducted a live interview on LBC which has long been not allowed. Other forms of contact like via mail are allowed. It still smells a bit funny, let's see if questions are asked in the house.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
According to Inside Time, a non-profit making monthly newspaper issued to prison libraries, the following seems to cover the rules about contact with the media: "There is no restriction on who prisoners can call except in the case of calls to journalists intended to be broadcast."

AIUI this is the reason why Decker was told not to contact the media. I am not sure if there is any general restriction on him speaking to a journalist.

As @Salty seadog says the details of the case are quite sparse, but it looks as if he was treated as any other prisoner would be.

No matter the rights and wrongs of the conviction and sentence it does not seem to me to be a serious case of banning free speech...at least based on the facts known so far.

Last edited:
According to Inside Time, a non-profit making monthly newspaper issued to prison libraries, the following seems to cover the rules about contact with the media: "There is no restriction on who prisoners can call except in the case of calls to journalists intended to be broadcast."

I can see why it might need a specific risk assessment in some cases but it seems unreasonable as a blanket ban.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I can see why it might need a specific risk assessment in some cases but it seems unreasonable as a blanket ban.

Imo it seems perfectly reasonable as a ban in principle, but which could be put aside in certain cases where lawyers for the prisoner, the broadcaster and the prison agreed on the terms.

It does not stop prisoners from speaking to whom they want, nor from saying what they want in that conversation.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
He conducted a live interview with LBC, that is forbidden for all prisoners.

Yes, I got that.

Since he appears to be treated 'according to the rules" I cannot say I see a problem.

Would we approve of Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon giving press interviews from prison?

Would we approve of Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon giving press interviews from prison?

I probably wouldn’t approve of the content but I’d support the principle. Why not?

(I’d find him being in prison quite pleasing too, but that’s a different matter.)

Beebo

Veteran
Charles Bronson was speaking to journalist via recorded voice mail during his recent parole hearing.

Salty seadog

Yes, I got that.

Since he appears to be treated 'according to the rules" I cannot say I see a problem.

Ahh, I think I got the wrong end of the stick with your previous reply to the one above. We agree,

Top Bottom