HM Gov vs Free Speech : who will win??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Charles Bronson was speaking to journalist via recorded voice mail during his recent parole hearing.

It was a voice note sent from his cell, not a broadcast interview.

Apparently he has been punished for it by losing phone privileges for a month.

Are you saying Decker should lose phone privileges like Branson, or just confirming that the rules apply to all prisoners?

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
It was a voice note sent from his cell, not a broadcast interview.

Apparently he has been punished for it by losing phone privileges for a month.

Are you saying Decker should lose phone privileges like Branson, or just confirming that the rules apply to all prisoners?

I wasn’t aware he was punished for it.
But if the rules have been enforced for Bronson then they should be enforced for all.
We can’t have a system where prisoners are treated differently.

We can’t have a system where prisoners are treated differently.

Really? There's no differences in prison regime between violent criminals and non violent offenders? Why wouldn't there be? Shall we upgrade all open prisons to maximum security?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I have to say that the idea of banning prisoners from speaking to journalists gives me the heebie jeebies, but that doesn't mean allowing full live broadcast interviews.

multitool

Shaman
I have to say that the idea of banning prisoners from speaking to journalists gives me the heebie jeebies, but that doesn't mean allowing full live broadcast interviews.

Yeah, but everyone is a 'journalist' these days, aren't they.

Beebo

Veteran
Really? There's no differences in prison regime between violent criminals and non violent offenders? Why wouldn't there be? Shall we upgrade all open prisons to maximum security?

Fair enough and I take your point.
But I would expect a new prisoner to have to build up to earn these privileges, not expect them from day one.
But if these are known rules, and Bronson got punished for a similar issue, then it makes it difficult to argue against it.

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru

Yeah, that's about where I'm at.

When I posted this topic I was aware I should probably research a few things, and it does look like he isn't being totally gagged. Which is good ..

But what is NOT good is the other shoot this government have pulled recently (such as this nonsense https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...o-shut-down-protests-before-disruption-begins
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/jan/13/how-will-the-police-and-bill-limit-the-right-to-protest
Among the most controversial elements are new powers for the home secretary to ban marches and demonstrations because they believe they might be “seriously disruptive”, including being too noisy.)

I've been stewing in this for a while, expecting more to get discussed here on my favourite political cycling sub-fora!

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Among the most controversial elements are new powers for the home secretary to ban marches and demonstrations because they believe they might be “seriously disruptive”, including being too noisy.)

Threats to expressions of dissent might be a good reason for Britain to have a basic written constitution.

Parties in dispute - govt or protesters - would then have to justify their actions before an independent court.

I'm not sure the current crop of MP's are mature enough to bring this about even if they wanted to.

Threats to expressions of dissent might be a good reason for Britain to have a basic written constitution.

Parties in dispute - govt or protesters - would then have to justify their actions before an independent court.

I'm not sure the current crop of MP's are mature enough to bring this about even if they wanted to.

The Human Rights Act is a good backstop for what might otherwise be constitutional rights; which is why the Right want to repeal it and leave the Convention.

IMG_3509.jpeg

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom