How do you define art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I assumed this thread resurrection would be about the latest Banksy, which I think is one of his worst.
Just a load of green paint unless viewed from the perfect angle, and even then it’s not up to his usual work.

View: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-68596925

I'm not a particularly big fan of Banksy, if it wasn't for his aura of mystery (which is impressive) I don't think he'd be so highly regarded as what he does is really quite basic. Always thought of him as a kind of modern day Warhol. I'd have liked to have visited Dismaland though.

Totally agree about this though. It's an interesting statement, but without the right angle just looks a poorly considered mess.

albion

Guru
My post was oniy borderline art. On the above, that seems dubious Banksy.

matticus

Guru
I'm not a particularly big fan of Banksy, if it wasn't for his aura of mystery (which is impressive) I don't think he'd be so highly regarded as what he does is really quite basic. Always thought of him as a kind of modern day Warhol. I'd have liked to have visited Dismaland though.

Totally agree about this though. It's an interesting statement, but without the right angle just looks a poorly considered mess.

I love his stuff cos of the context (well, usually!) - it's simple art, done with extra meaning due to location etc. I'm a bit of a Luddite, thus immune to art that requires taste or knowledge to appreciate ; I know what I like though! :P
But this one has left me shrugging ... happy to forgive someone a few misfires with such a great back-catalog (which is all free to me, and you can spot them just wandering around Bristol/London :smile: )

Bazzer

Banksy reminds me a little of Gerald Scarfe in the way he looks at some topics. But of the exhibitions of both artists I have been to, Scarfe had way more bite.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Of course he doesn’t paint his own polka dots on to canvas.

I mean who has the time when you're lopping up sharks and sticking diamonds on cow skulls?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
We get back into the question posed in the thread title. Is the art in the idea or the execution. The Renaissance masters had students and apprentices contributing to their work. And what about large pieces like statues, or architecture? There's often someone else, many people even, doing the actual construction work.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
We get back into the question posed in the thread title. Is the art in the idea or the execution. The Renaissance masters had students and apprentices contributing to their work. And what about large pieces like statues, or architecture? There's often someone else, many people even, doing the actual construction work.

I think the difference with Hirst is his attitude. From what I've read, he generally vets his designers/artists and then gives them free reign to implement his ideas with little input or direction, but is happy to call it "his" work. I appreciate that Warhol had his Factory, but I feel that was a much more open and honest environment.

He also has a habit of firing folk (not just creatives) under the auspices of not becoming "corporate"; sorry fella, that ship sailed a while ago. I'd be seriously disillusioned as an artist if I'd put hard work into creating a "Hirst" inspired piece, for him to get all the plaudits and then to get binned.

I suppose what defines art is a fairly nebulous idea really. My personal ethos is that it's for everyone and seen everywhere. An element of thought has gone into everything we experience, no matter how small, and it's our individual life experiences which shape our response, not something written on a wee placard next to it.

winjim

I think the difference with Hirst is his attitude. From what I've read, he generally vets his designers/artists and then gives them free reign to implement his ideas with little input or direction, but is happy to call it "his" work. I appreciate that Warhol had his Factory, but I feel that was a much more open and honest environment.

He also has a habit of firing folk (not just creatives) under the auspices of not becoming "corporate"; sorry fella, that ship sailed a while ago. I'd be seriously disillusioned as an artist if I'd put hard work into creating a "Hirst" inspired piece, for him to get all the plaudits and then to get binned.

I suppose what defines art is a fairly nebulous idea really. My personal ethos is that it's for everyone and seen everywhere. An element of thought has gone into everything we experience, no matter how small, and it's our individual life experiences which shape our response, not something written on a wee placard next to it.

I've never really cared for Hirst or given him much thought, but we went to his restaurant in Ilfracombe when we were on holiday. We had a small toddler with us, the staff were particularly useless and we had to leave and eat somewhere else, so at that point I took a specific dislike to the man.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I've never really cared for Hirst or given him much thought, but we went to his restaurant in Ilfracombe when we were on holiday. We had a small toddler with us, the staff were particularly useless and we had to leave and eat somewhere else, so at that point I took a specific dislike to the man.

Entirely fair. I believe it's shut down now, but Verity the statue near it remains.

Pretty sure he was going to be part of building an eco town near there too, but pulled out.

The more I'm thinking about him, the more I'm disliking him as he's essentially one of the Saatchi darlings from the 90s. Easy to be some sort of ironic enfant terrible when you've got that kind of financial backing I suppose.

winjim

Entirely fair. I believe it's shut down now, but Verity the statue near it remains.

Pretty sure he was going to be part of building an eco town near there too, but pulled out.

The more I'm thinking about him, the more I'm disliking him as he's essentially one of the Saatchi darlings from the 90s. Easy to be some sort of ironic enfant terrible when you've got that kind of financial backing I suppose.

The statue's kind of alright actually. I'm not sure it displays a huge amount of imagination and is arguably a remake of the cow / calf thing but it's quite a cool presence to have looming over the harbour.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The statue's kind of alright actually. I'm not sure it displays a huge amount of imagination and is arguably a remake of the cow / calf thing but it's quite a cool presence to have looming over the harbour.

I wouldn't mind seeing it, but it's one of those that I reckon might be too big when you get up close. Bit like the Angel of the North mentioned ages ago; rubbish when you're next to it, but it looks very cool on the approach into/out of the area.

Top Bottom