How do you define art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Compared with this

Just for absolute clarity:

Comparing this

View attachment 317

With this :

View attachment 318
The top one looks like it belongs to a American evangelist.Wouldnt look out of place for Billy Graham 😁
The lower one looks dark and creepy....could be from a Kubrick movie.
The second one without doubt.Probally says something about me !

Cirrus

The only person who really understands a piece of art is the artist, if they haven't articulated their thoughts on it then everyone else is talking bollocks (in my most humble opinion).

D

Deleted member 49

I'd argue there's a difference between liking and understanding.
Maybe....I allways look at art before reading a artists statement though.Things I've loved without understanding them is what sometimes makes great art for me.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
Maybe....I allways look at art before reading a artists statement though.Things I've loved without understanding them is what sometimes makes great art for me.
Understanding comes from looking, not from reading.

D

Deleted member 49

Understanding comes from looking, not from reading.
Mostly.....all art isn't figarative though.Somerimes it needs to be seen and read.Recently went to the Whitworth to see Cloud Studies by Forensic Architecture which was fantastic.Made me want to read more about them.Some would say it's not art at all.But if it gets a message to it's viewers who am I to say if it is or isn't.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I'm not getting dragged into the swirling swamp of gender politics, but he did have a point there, didn't he?

Women are as capable of producing great art as men are. Why wouldn't they be? As with Science, historically they weren't given the same opportunity, and when they did have the opportunity their achievements were not celebrated or publicised, and as such were ignored or forgotten.

Artemisia Gentileschi was 20 in 1612 when she made this painting of Judith beheading Holofernes. Yet most people have heard of her contemporary, Caravaggio, but not her.

D

Deleted member 49

Women are as capable of producing great art as men are. Why wouldn't they be? As with Science, historically they weren't given the same opportunity, and when they did have the opportunity their achievements were not celebrated or publicised, and as such were ignored or forgotten.

View attachment 321

Artemisia Gentileschi was 20 in 1612 when she made this painting of Judith beheading Holofernes. Yet most people have heard of her contemporary, Caravaggio, but not her.
I prefer.....
“There are no great women artists because women are incapable of greatness.”

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
The only person who really understands a piece of art is the artist, if they haven't articulated their thoughts on it then everyone else is talking bollocks (in my most humble opinion).
Their 'articulated thoughts' are the artwork. Anything else is peripheral, and probably bollocks.

Top Bottom