How do you define art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I prefer.....
“There are no great women artists because women are incapable of greatness.”
The trouble with using Artemisia Gentileschi as an example is that unfortunately it reinforces the trope, beloved of modern fantasy authors, that women are capable of greatness but only as the result of a particular type of male provocation.

Which does tell us something though...

D

Deleted member 49

The trouble with using Artemisia Gentileschi as an example is that unfortunately it reinforces the trope, beloved of modern fantasy authors, that women are capable of greatness but only as the result of a particular type of male provocation.

Agree i was using Linda Nochlin...

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member

I've never heard anyone make that argument.

theclaud

Reading around the chip

Yes. And no. May I recommend The Artemisia Files, edited by my avatar?

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
Women artists are almost a guerrilla movement.

Randomnerd

I think of myself as an artist at heart. Although I don't make a living by that means, art makes my living worthwhile.

Now and again kind folk call my day job - walling - an art. Which it isn't. It's craft, which is somehow quite different, even when the same emotional muscles are being exercised in both arenas.

The differences are for others with a wider available vocabulary than I. Art need have no purpose. No end.
Craft has purpose - the basket carries, the spoon feeds, the wall forms a boundary.

Personally, making art starts with subconscious intuition. One knows something is there. The rest is a grasping desire.

And of course it's entirely free to interpretation.

Art is liberation. Going out on a limb, then going a little further. A liberation from fear, criticism, judgment, self.

Art is simply, like all the rest of our human effort, a haphazard but intentioned rearrangement of atoms. It should hurt, provoke, entice, warn, embolden, frighten, challenge, be misunderstood and on and on....

D

Deleted member 49

Went to see the exhibition by Forensic Architecture when it was on at the Whitworth,which was fantastic ! Love what I've seen of their work.Who'd have thought Israel would hold such power 🙄
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...-hudson-forced-out-over-palestinian-statement

fozy tornip

fozympotent
"The poet's eye, in fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen
Turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name."

Imagination innit? Not as whimsy or fancy but a truth bearing faculty.

D

Deleted member 49

"The poet's eye, in fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen
Turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name."

Imagination innit? Not as whimsy or fancy but a truth bearing faculty.
“I embraced the minimalist lifestyle. It’s been a long road. I got it down to a George Foreman Grill and a bottle of disinfectant.”
John Cooper Clarke.

Top Bottom