I'm working with an un-jabbed adult ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I'm terrified of heights, even though I'm 6ft3. :eek:

I admire @shep guts for working with heights.

It's a thing you get used to with time as well though .

The first few days in high mountains my head gets a bit 'swimmy' with edges and big drops..then I get acclimatised .

My usual expedition companion is a tree surgeon, so you'd think he'd be fine with heights..
And mostly he is .

But then occasionally will get freaked out on something completely solid like a high dam wall - it's not 100% rational, your brain isn't wired like that.

Thing is a healthy respect for heights..
Or aversion to falling off them is a very sensible life preservative.

Far more rational for instance, than a fear of 'public speaking' say.

But that really terrifies some folk...:sad:

mudsticks

Squire
We've said exactly the same but that would have an impact on his ability to earn money 🙄

Being dead or disabled by Covid not great for fitness for work, not neither .

But there's no reasoning with some folk, over this, they've read some stuff by some random off if t'internet, and that's that..

I don't know of anyone I work with who hasn't been jabbed.

Or else maybe they're just keeping very quiet about it :blink:

swansonj

Regular
We've said exactly the same but that would have an impact on his ability to earn money 🙄
Yeah. In my former company, we had problems persuading staff to follow the rules (a) clipping on when working g at height and (b) wearing respirator in gas trenches. All the behavioural modification techniques - gory case studies, emotional videos about families left behind etc- in the book had limited effect ... until, as I recall, we started sacking people for not following the rules, whereupon compliance increased dramatically.

D

Deleted member 28

Yeah. In my former company, we had problems persuading staff to follow the rules (a) clipping on when working g at height and (b) wearing respirator in gas trenches. All the behavioural modification techniques - gory case studies, emotional videos about families left behind etc- in the book had limited effect ... until, as I recall, we started sacking people for not following the rules, whereupon compliance increased dramatically.
We never used to bother clipping on 20 yrs ago, in fact you were looked upon as a bit of a Wuss if you did, thankfully the job has changed since then and it's not worth the risk of losing your job not to follow the rules nowadays (and falling off of course) but being vaccinated isn't compulsory.

It doesn't really bother me from a safety point of view but the reason he gives is a bit lame.

Just what I need in Christmas week - an ethical dilemma!
Can we still call it Christmas week? I thought it's now the Holiday Season ;-)

mudsticks

Squire
We never used to bother clipping on 20 yrs ago, in fact you were looked upon as a bit of a Wuss if you did, thankfully the job has changed since then and it's not worth the risk of losing your job not to follow the rules nowadays (and falling off of course) but being vaccinated isn't compulsory.

It doesn't really bother me from a safety point of view but the reason he gives is a bit lame.

Just think if it wasn't for all that meddling anti machismo elf n safety nonsense you might not even still be here to regale us with your august opines...

Ha, but now we've brexitted ...

swansonj

Regular

When I first trained to climb pylons, the rule was that you could climb up the climbing leg (the one with step bolts) free, but had to attach when working. So if you fell off anywhere other than by the climbing leg, that was a giveaway that you must have been breaking the rules and working without clipping on. So, allegedly, there were instances where someone fell off, and the first thing their mates did was to drag their injured body over to the climbing leg before calling the ambulance....

D

Deleted member 28

When I first trained to climb pylons, the rule was that you could climb up the climbing leg (the one with step bolts) free, but had to attach when working. So if you fell off anywhere other than by the climbing leg, that was a giveaway that you must have been breaking the rules and working without clipping on. So, allegedly, there were instances where someone fell off, and the first thing their mates did was to drag their injured body over to the climbing leg before calling the ambulance....
I've worked on Pylons too, only in a telecom capacity so never out on the arms or wires and they had a 'latchway ' fall arest system fitted to many which meant you still didn't have to attach whilst climbing as such because you were connected via the 'trolley ' years later they condemned them all and made you attach using your lanyards but left the wire system in place which is completely in the way!
Progress eh?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I've worked on Pylons too, only in a telecom capacity so never out on the arms or wires and they had a 'latchway ' fall arest system fitted to many which meant you still didn't have to attach whilst climbing as such because you were connected via the 'trolley ' years later they condemned them all and made you attach using your lanyards but left the wire system in place which is completely in the way!
Progress eh?

Some scary footage here. Not for me, I get scared walking across the footpath on Tyne Bridge ;)

Top Bottom