Law & Order in Freefall. Only 1% of bike thefts charged, never mind convicted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
The gist i got from it is that they've increased the number of coppers in recent years on paper, but those coppers are doing more of the desk jobs of the backroom staff the gov't have laid off, meaning the front line cops are having to sit behind a computer typing up reports, scheduling, ordering stationary and changing bog rolls rather than getting out and mincing criminals which has lead to the experienced coppers leaving in their droves, leaving pillocks behind to do the jobs they are ill equipped and poorly trained for... It makes sense to my pea brain.
I think it's more or less that. Previously once an arrest had been made the Police Officer would hand all the notes etc over to a desk based senior admin who would write it all up and prepare the file for the CPS ensuring all the Ts had been crossed and the i's dotted. This is now being done by the officer who should be back on the beat looking for more wronguns.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think it's more or less that. Previously once an arrest had been made the Police Officer would hand all the notes etc over to a desk based senior admin who would write it all up and prepare the file for the CPS ensuring all the Ts had been crossed and the i's dotted. This is now being done by the officer who should be back on the beat looking for more wronguns.

I doubt the Officers concerned are in a rush to get back 'out on the beat', not that I have seen a Police Officer, or PCSO, 'on the beat', recently. Where would you rather be, sitting in the office on computer, bit of Facebook etc, or, dealing with 'wrongs' ?

matticus

Guru
I doubt the Officers concerned are in a rush to get back 'out on the beat', not that I have seen a Police Officer, or PCSO, 'on the beat', recently. Where would you rather be, sitting in the office on computer, bit of Facebook etc, or, dealing with 'wrongs' ?

PERSONALLY, I'd rather be 'on the beat' - assuming you can guarantee no-one will try to harm me!

I suspect most police recruits are up for the occasional aggro, and are not keen on PC computer-based admin. So in general I reckon you're wrong.

matticus

Guru
If I ruled the universe, we'd solve bike theft from the demand side - someone has to be buying this stuff. Thieves aren't taking the bikes just so they can ride to their day-job.

Sure, some will be cunning - but I reckon 80% of stolen goods sales are easy to spot if you care about such things.

icowden

Legendary Member

I didn't say they were in a rush to get back out to apprehending the bad guys. What I said was that they *should* be doing that rather than spending two days doing paperwork after the arrest. If you follow @barristersecret you will realise that a lot of CPS prosecutions fail because the paperwork hasn't been submitted properly leaving a gap in the prosecution for a defence barrister to exploit. The Police used to have professionals doing the paperwork.

It's a bit like getting doctors to make their own appointments and write up their own reports. We'd rather they were saving lives and letting the professional administrators do the admin.

BoldonLad

I didn't say they were in a rush to get back out to apprehending the bad guys. What I said was that they *should* be doing that rather than spending two days doing paperwork after the arrest. If you follow @barristersecret you will realise that a lot of CPS prosecutions fail because the paperwork hasn't been submitted properly leaving a gap in the prosecution for a defence barrister to exploit. The Police used to have professionals doing the paperwork.

It's a bit like getting doctors to make their own appointments and write up their own reports. We'd rather they were saving lives and letting the professional administrators do the admin.

I wasn't saying otherwise. I have several ex/current Police acquiantances (not the same as being 'known to the Police') they, generally, do not appear unduly hard working or diligent. Just my limited experience, and humble opinion of course.

BoldonLad

PERSONALLY, I'd rather be 'on the beat' - assuming you can guarantee no-one will try to harm me!

I suspect most police recruits are up for the occasional aggro, and are not keen on PC computer-based admin. So in general I reckon you're wrong.

It has been known, but, not based on my, admittedly limited, current/ex Police acquaintances ;)

matticus

Guru
I have several ex/current Police acquiantances (not the same as being 'known to the Police') they, generally, do not appear unduly hard working or diligent. Just my limited experience, and humble opinion of course.

It has been known, but, not based on my, admittedly limited, current/ex Police acquaintances ;)
I work with several ex-RAF, army etc. All over 40.

It seems none of them want to serve in the armed forces now, preferring to earn their living in a civilian manufacturing facility. Causation-vs-correlation?!?

Meanwhile, not one of them prefers doing the paperwork vs actual spannering.

BoldonLad

I work with several ex-RAF, army etc. All over 40.

It seems none of them want to serve in the armed forces now, preferring to earn their living in a civilian manufacturing facility. Causation-vs-correlation?!?

Meanwhile, not one of them prefers doing the paperwork vs actual spannering.

I did agree, I could be wrong, but, IMHO, 'doing the spannering' is not really comparable with potentially getting a kicking from some 'low life'. ;)

D

Deleted member 28

I did agree, I could be wrong, but, IMHO, 'doing the spannering' is not really comparable with potentially getting a kicking from some 'low life'. ;)

'Low life' surely you mean a poor misunderstood individual that hasn't had a chance in life due to the abhorrent state of the country caused solely by Government under funding?

It's not 'their' fault the Tories have turned everyone into criminals in the last 12yrs.

icowden

Legendary Member
It's not 'their' fault the Tories have turned everyone into criminals in the last 12yrs.
It kind of is. The distinction for a good percentage of those in prison is the difference between addiction and mental health support preventing them from committing crime in the first place and not having that support.

ebikeerwidnes

But that
I reckon if i park my bike up, lock it and return and it's not there where i left it then there is a pretty good bet a crime has been committed...

is not what the Police see
They see an allegation of a crime - i.e. your bike being knicked
In this case we can presume you are telling the truth
but other people may make an allegation simply to get a crime number so they can submit a spurious insurance claim - I know this as I am retired and watch 'Claimed and Shamed' on daytime TV!!!

anyway - the point above is valid - what we do not know is the number of reported crimes are actual crimes

but wither was a reduction of 4% to 1% is not good

but then there are worse bits of the above chart

(p.s. I was riding my bike yesterday - would have gone out today but it was raining!!! - dunno why that is relevant??)

icowden

Legendary Member
I reckon if i park my bike up, lock it and return and it's not there where i left it then there is a pretty good bet a crime has been committed...
Prove it. Do you have anything to prove that you actually had a bike? Is there evidence of the theft?

ebikeerwidnes

If I ruled the universe, we'd solve bike theft from the demand side - someone has to be buying this stuff. Thieves aren't taking the bikes just so they can ride to their day-job.

Sure, some will be cunning - but I reckon 80% of stolen goods sales are easy to spot if you care about such things.

I was afffing about on eaby or marketplace several months ago and I came across a bike for sale

Not bad looking mountain bike - nothing special but pretty OK for normal riding

Only thing is that there was about 9 inches missing from the down tube - exactly like it would be if it had been knicked using an angle grinder from a bike rack

I have not idea if someone bought it - but I reported it to the cops and the site anyway

mind you - it was cheap

D

Deleted member 28

It kind of is. The distinction for a good percentage of those in prison is the difference between addiction and mental health support preventing them from committing crime in the first place and not having that support.

No crimes committed when Labour were in last, you clown!

Top Bottom