Louis Theroux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Ãœber Member
Not watched it yet, but, I've got a lot of time for Mr Theroux, and I'm looking forward to catching this new series.

Any good?

D

Deleted member 49

Love Louis ! I liked when He asked Louis to leave his house and Louis said, "I'm not in your house".lol...
Slamming the door wearing a Louis T shirt....

matticus

Guru
I'm a big fan of Louis overall - but I've watched a couple of his past shows and just been plain depressed by the low-life he talks to.

Enjoyed his radio/podcasts during lockdown a lot - possibly because he spoke to nice people!

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Theroux has a great way of letting people condemn themselves without any provocation from him. There is an arrogance about these people that they believe they can direct the discussion with this rather wet Brit in their favour but in the end cannot resist reverting to type.

I worry though that this sort of programme does not so much change attitudes but reinforces the prejudices of the viewer. I am sure that many followers of Fuentes, Half-Baked and the T-shirt guy will be further convinced that their bloke just said it as it is and really put Theroux in his place.

Will this show go out in the US, and will all those far-right nut jobs, or even the more rational Americans, take any notice?

Beebo

Veteran
The element of surprise has gone. Everyone who agrees to go on his show knows the score, they are playing to their audience as much as Louis is.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
He knows they can't resist the opportunity to spout their rubbish, and will always revert to type.

The really intelligent ones would have nothing to do with his programme.

ebikeerwidnes

He does show them up - he will never convince the people themselves but showing them up might stop people who are more reasonable and make them stop and think rather than support thm

maybe

I suppose it is better that they are challenged rather than not.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I thought it was good. Theroux is treading a tricky line between two schools of thought about the wisdom or otherwise of making documentaries which arguably give another 'platform' to people who might better be left to fester in their own basements. But despite 'new' context of social media driven right-wing movements, there has never been a time when documentarists didn't have to wrestle with questions of complicity, voice and framing, and he does so thinkingly and with the usual appealing combination of courage and vulnerability. It's also funny. He asks a bloke whose handle is Baked Alaska 'Can I call you Baked?' and quietly riles a thin-skinned incel called Beardly Beardson (or it might be Beardson Beardly), who is wearing a Louis Theroux t-shirt whilst completely losing his shit with Louis. The part where he breaks from the company of misogynists to visit one of the female activists (on their own side) they so despise is very moving, I think - she plays a video in which Beardson hurls a tirade of graphic rape threats at her. It's very much reminiscent of that point in his film with the self-aggrandising campus rapist where he allows the moment, and once again the perpetrator's own words, to shift the whole balance of credibility. I understand the various criticisms of Theroux from the Left, but I still think he's a better documentary-maker than those arguments give him credit for. I remain a fan.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
The Telegraph's take (just for a change). The comments are a little politer than the Ma!l's.

Someone needs to review the reviewers. Stewart Lee is too busy to do it.

The BTL comments are nice...

Screenshot_20220214-131054.png

stowie

Someone needs to review the reviewers. Stewart Lee is too busy to do it.

The BTL comments are nice...

View attachment 727

1644845743948.png

What has happened to the Daily Telegraph? In the old days, the comments would have been from retired bankers or Colonel types whose outrage over the trans debate would have been around Latin etymology of the phrase.

I mean the above is just mind garbage. Liverpool able to stop the sale of a national newspaper... what by people not buying it? Outrageous! And as for women's football - presumably whilst the globalist BBC concentrates on Putin and Ukraine, they neglect to see the pincer movement being conducted by our womenfolk to occupy the playing fields of England. Where will it all end?

Top Bottom