Louis Theroux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Über Member
It is interesting how the American far right are now presenting themselves and it should inform us as to how the far right in the UK will "rebrand" themselves.
QED?

1644933662446.png

I haven't watched it yet , so probs shouldn't comment

But the themes seem wearily familiar.

I'm not sure watching it would do anything other than depress me

I try to remain optimistic about the human nature being generally on the brighter side given decent enough conditions, progs like this can leave one a bit despairing..
I'm not sure I could even watch it from behind the sofa....

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
If anyone wants to see a masterclass in how to recruit and maintain a very dodgy ideology, and grow it into a rich and powerful organisation, I can recommend the documentary 'Going Clear' about Scientology.

You won't get the Scientologists spontaneously gobbing off to journalists or getting into public rows in front of the camera. You won't find them ranting on Twitter. Everything is done quietly and surreptitiously in a very controlled manner. The groups who operate behind the scenes, and whose influence is there but never seen, are as big a worry as the more overtly bonkers left and right wing outliers.

D

Deleted member 49

If anyone wants to see a masterclass in how to recruit and maintain a very dodgy ideology, and grow it into a rich and powerful organisation, I can recommend the documentary 'Going Clear' about Scientology.

You won't get the Scientologists spontaneously gobbing off to journalists or getting into public rows in front of the camera. You won't find them ranting on Twitter. Everything is done quietly and surreptitiously in a very controlled manner. The groups who operate behind the scenes, and whose influence is there but never seen, are as big a worry as the more overtly bonkers left and right wing outliers.
I loved Theoroux when he did the Scientology episode.Whilst were on it I can recommend the film The Master.The film's director Paul Thomas Anderson has stated that The Master was partly based on L Ron Hubbard, who founded Scientology in the 1950s.
Great movie either way....right sorry to go off topic there 😁

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I watched the first one last night. And again today because I couldn't quite believe what I'd seen.

Unreal.

Well, worryingly it's not.

It made me think a lot about the way the internet has completely changed pretty much everything. And not necessarily for the better.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Watched them all now.

The MAGA/Incel one still blows my mind.

Slightly disappointed by the rap/trap one as it didn't really bring anything new up.

Neither did the consent one, but it's such a hugely important message and very well presented.

Top Bottom