Martin Luther King and soup protests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
I understand and support this one completely. The protest directly affects those making, or not making, the decisions.

Nothing about it yet on the news tonight though. Poor timing with the new PM being anointed.

Now tell us your favourite protest that DID get onto the news. Which are the smart ones, that you think didn't hinder their cause?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Now tell us your favourite protest that DID get onto the news. Which are the smart ones, that you think didn't hinder their cause?

That's a tricky one, like asking me to rank my kids in the order I love them.

One that stands out as a favourite form of protest is the recent barristers' strike, which meant I was dismissed from jury duty after just a couple of days of tedious hanging around.

This is another protest that seems to have worked.....
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-wins-fight-bush-trimmed-24537981

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
That's a tricky one, like asking me to rank my kids in the order I love them.

One that stands out as a favourite form of protest is the recent barristers' strike, which meant I was dismissed from jury duty after just a couple of days of tedious hanging around.

This is another protest that seems to have worked.....
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-wins-fight-bush-trimmed-24537981

Now tell us one that relates to climate change and/or reducing fossil fuel combustion/extraction.
p.s. I didn't hear about the bush - was it on BBC TV News?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Now tell us one that relates to climate change and/or reducing fossil fuel combustion/extraction.
p.s. I didn't hear about the bush - was it on BBC TV News?

The jury is still out on the effectiveness of climate change protests. We are still careering to disaster despite them and I am not able to say yet how effective they are. Local anti-fracking protests seem to have had success, although the Tories are doing their best to over-ride them.

There is news outside the BBC, and protests are not all about huge international issues. Wales Online is a great source of entertainment, but not too much about climate change.

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
The jury is still out on the effectiveness of climate change protests. We are still careering to disaster despite them and I am not able to say yet how effective they are

Why do you think that NOT protesting will be more effective? (I assume that's what you're advocating.)

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Why do you think that NOT protesting will be more effective? (I assume that's what you're advocating.)

Then you assume wrongly.

There is a valid discussion to be had about the effectiveness of protests ranging from all protests are valid to protests make no difference, and as usual the truth lies somewhere in between. I am not going to get into some facile discussion to try and make some debating point based around every single protest that arises.

I have given my opinions on this particular protest, which are not based on any scientific or socio-political research, especially as the issues are nowhere near resolved.

If you have a different opinion, fine, no skin off my nose. The protests still go on, and people have the right to make them...if they think they help....even if possibly they don't help.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Interesting approach to a hand glueing protest at a VW dealership in Germany.

A group went in and glued themselves to the floor. So the dealership turned off the lights and the heating and went home. The protesters then complained they were not being treated fairly. Seems fair enough to me, a business is disrupted and can't operate, so they shut up shop and go home for the day.

theclaud

Reading around the chip

A group went in and glued themselves to the floor. So the dealership turned off the lights and the heating and went home. The protesters then complained they were not being treated fairly. Seems fair enough to me, a business is disrupted and can't operate, so they shut up shop and go home for the day.

Cool story, bro.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Cool story, bro.

Just Google it, why the snarky reply?

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru

<googles> ... Cool story! Except it seems to be at a factory, not a dealership (according to https://www.opindia.com/2022/10/ger...lue-themselves-to-volkswagen-autostadt-floor/ ). The protest was in the visitor centre bit - full of fancy Porsches, I guess, not just VW hatcbacks. I smiled at the phrase in bold below:

Autostadt is a facility for visitors adjacent to the Volkswagen factory in Wolfsburg, Germany.

According to the reports, the Autostadt at the Volkswagen plant is the facility where consumers and fans go to connect with the company’s brands or experience some car-related pleasure. A total of 15 members of the ‘Scientist Rebellion’ group who claim to be science researchers marched in Autostadt to protest ...
<Snigger>

Anyway, I would say this is an example of a poorly thought-out protest. What does this tell us? Hmmm ...

Top Bottom