Martin Luther King and soup protests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Time? What time do you think we have?

I don't know the answer to that do you?

Some have said it is already to late?

I doubt the timescales will be any different because of these specific art protests. Unless of course the rather nebulous idea that any protest must be doing some good is true...a bit like the butterfly effect.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
The problem is that only with hindsight will you know whether it was fruitful, fruitless...or even fruitlimited.
Yes and no. It may be an insignificant fruit, of a different order to the sort you mean, but I hear activists credit their activism with the real, here-and-now benefit of helping manage/assuage the personal despair/depression that accompanies the helplessness to which we're encouraged to surrender. Something about reclaiming a sense of personal integrity rather than tacitly approving - through inaction - the destruction of all that is true and beautiful. Finding and exercising courage.

A handful of people willing to be arrested for non-violent acts of minor vandalism to further perfectly reasonable political aims. The parallels are uncanny. Especially the scale of hardships/penalties experienced by the protesters.

Do you think some common understanding about the words ‘similar’ and ‘parallel’ would be helpful?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yes and no. It may be an insignificant fruit, of a different order to the sort you mean, but I hear activists credit their activism with the real, here-and-now benefit of helping manage/assuage the personal despair/depression that accompanies the helplessness to which we're encouraged to surrender. Something about reclaiming a sense of personal integrity rather than tacitly approving - through inaction - the destruction of all that is true and beautiful. Finding and exercising courage.

That is what I said earlier in slightly fewer words.

On the positive side, I believe there could be an element of ongoing motivation and morale for the protesters to help them continue to fight for their cause.

Do you think some common understanding about the words ‘similar’ and ‘parallel’ would be helpful?

Clearly.

A squash ball is similar to a wrecking ball...sort of.

A telephone pole is parallel to Burj Khalifa....sort of.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
I have questions about the consistency of German mashed potato.

I ate quite a lot of 'smashed' potatoes close to that consistency just recently.
Mades a nice change from endless pasta or cous cous.

I don't know the answer to that do you?

Some have said it is already to late?

I doubt the timescales will be any different because of these specific art protests. Unless of course the rather nebulous idea that any protest must be doing some good is true...a bit like the butterfly effect.

It's not too late to limit the degrees of warming.
Nor to build resilience, make reparations, and facilitate adaptations in our systems.

Every tenth of a degree we can control will limit the future damage and suffering.

Keeping it at the top of the agenda is key.

Public awareness, and acceptance of the truth and reality of global heating has increased a lot over the last few years..
Even in the few short 🙄years I've been on CC

It does help with all that, for sure, so long as you don't use up all your energy.

I like the concept of acting in ways that both our eight, and our eighty year old selves would approve of.

Trying to be a 'good ancestor' ..
All that sort of thing.

But you certainly can't get overly attached to 'outcomes' - certainly not expecting 'instant results' or explicitly stated changes of heart.

You'll be very dissapointed and leave off activism of any sort pretty soon if you expect any of that.

You certainly don't expect any thanks ..
But if you get some occasionally, that's a nice bonus ❣️

Ian H

Guru
I might be wrong but a quick Google suggests the cleaning of the National Museum (and other museums) is outsourced to DOC Cleaning Ltd. Job adverts on Indeed suggest they don't pay the Real Living Wage. Can't screenshot but here you go:

Cleaning Operative​

DOC Cleaning Limited

Job details
Salary
£11.05 an hour

I doubt the local council cleaner, or whoever is cleaning up after crap-in-a-bucket-girl in Derbyshire is getting the living wage either.

That isn't 'concern trolling'. It's acknowledging that the people who pay the immediate price for the activism you readily endorse are those who already have the least.

It would be more honest if you just said you don't care about them because the big picture is more important. 'The end justifies the means' is not an an unusual position to take.

As if they'd let out-sourced cleaners near a work of art. It will have been removed for careful inspection & cleaning by the resident experts.

Ian H

Guru
I have questions about the consistency of German mashed potato.
It's not just the mashed potato.
Screenshot_20221024-224126.png

Top Bottom