Martin Luther King and soup protests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Wrt to peaceful protests I am definitely with Kurt Vonnegut in post #63 above.

These "harmless" protests have the counter-effect of over-shadowing the cause imo. It becomes all about the protesters.

D

Deleted member 49

Wrt to peaceful protests I am definitely with Kurt Vonnegut in post #63 above.

These "harmless" protests have the counter-effect of over-shadowing the cause imo. It becomes all about the protesters.
Sometimes the only way is direct action...Love Vonnegut but it's more about the point of the Artists would be right behind this ! It's not like anything has been harmed in there protests.Its getting noticed and that's what matters.

Screenshot_20221024-102555.png

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Sometimes the only way is direct action...Love Vonnegut but it's more about the point of the Artists would be right behind this ! It's not like anything has been harmed in there protests.Its getting noticed and that's what matters.

View attachment 2385

I thought the point of Vonnegut's quote was that they got noticed but it didn't matter for all the effect it had on stopping the war.

D

Deleted member 49

I thought the point of Vonnegut's quote was that they got noticed but it didn't matter for all the effect it had on stopping the war.
Yea it was....and for all the good it did !
So this as a peaceful protest has to be worth a try...I mean we're talking about the destruction of the planet.Im sure the Artists would be on side.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.

Can you name a single 'Just Stop Oil' or 'Insulate Britain' protester (without Googling)?

They seem wholly anonymous and self-effacing in support of their causes, so much so that it's hard to imagine how you could be more wrong.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Gandhi’s salt march was a deliberate publicity stunt.

That comparison has really made me change my mind.

The similarities and the context are uncanny.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Can you name a single 'Just Stop Oil' or 'Insulate Britain' protester (without Googling)?

They seem wholly anonymous and self-effacing in support of their causes, so much so that it's hard to imagine how you could be more wrong.

It is about making them, as copycat protesters, not as anonymous individuals, the issue.

I have no quarrels at all with their genuine care for their cause, just doubt the effectiveness of this particular form of protest in furthering that cause.

Only time will tell.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Not everything that fails to achieve its immediate or conscious objective is therefore 'fruitless'.

The problem is that only with hindsight will you know whether it was fruitful, fruitless...or even fruitlimited.

On the positive side, I believe there could be an element of ongoing motivation and morale for the protesters to help them continue to fight for their cause.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
A mass movement of people willing to be arrested for non-violent acts of civil disobedience to further perfectly reasonable political aims? Definite parallels.

A handful of people willing to be arrested for non-violent acts of minor vandalism to further perfectly reasonable political aims. The parallels are uncanny. Especially the scale of hardships/penalties experienced by the protesters.

Top Bottom