Master…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

That, and, what I had specifically in mind, acknowledging the Grand Architect of the Universe.
Not met her.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I might have known she was drop dead gorgeous.

Just remember you are buying the house, not her.
Rather more elegant and well mannered in an upmarket country way….
Wimps is in charge of negotiations, I drive the van and hold the dogs. I know my place….

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Precisely, it's happened in the last 5-10 years or so... possibly started by IT recruitment agencies trying to make IT seem more glamorous, even IT people don't know what it means.

Apart from the period 16-20 year old, I worked in IT for the whole of my working life, so, cannot really make comparisons with other professions/disciplines, in this respect. However, IT did seem to love to generate new jargon. I several times went on courses to find out what the latest whizz bang idea was, only to find it was something we had been doing for several years, but, not masquerading in some jargon name.

D

Deleted member 28

Apart from the period 16-20 year old, I worked in IT for the whole of my working life, so, cannot really make comparisons with other professions/disciplines, in this respect. However, IT did seem to love to generate new jargon. I several times went on courses to find out what the latest whizz bang idea was, only to find it was something we had been doing for several years, but, not masquerading in some jargon name.
Imagine what thicko's like me make of it all, not only do we have to call you lot up 'IT helpdesk ' but now the people trying to help can't understand me (or me them).

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Imagine what thicko's like me make of it all, not only do we have to call you lot up 'IT helpdesk ' but now the people trying to help can't understand me (or me them).
Please @shep, don’t mention “IT Help desk”. I did a help desk job, once, when I couldn’t get anything better. An absolute nightmare. Phone never stopped ringing. Used to use the old “switch it off and switch it on again” just to get a break to piss. Never took one of those jobs again!

matticus

Guru
Please @shep, don’t mention “IT Help desk”. I did a help desk job, once, when I couldn’t get anything better. An absolute nightmare. Phone never stopped ringing. Used to use the old “switch it off and switch it on again” just to get a break to piss. Never took one of those jobs again!
Yes, spare a thought for the peeps at the other end! Not always the case, but it's often the crappiest, lowest level job in the company. Luckily I've only done it as part of other duties - and that was bad enough.
You'll get a mixed bag of people answering the phone (or of course messaging these days); some will be smart, and enthusiastic. Some will be smart but in the wrong job and hating it. And every other permutation ...

Archie_tect

I get invited to an IT Architects Convention in America most years... but they won't pay my travel expenses.

Top Bottom