NACA Political Jokes Page

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
2530.jpg

(yes I know it's from 2019, but I have a backlog of Guardians to get thru .... )

Ian H

Guru
Here's a letter responding to a review in the LRB of a book about British comedy.

Letters

Can't you take a joke?

Jonathan Coe describes my friend Roger Law, the artist, caricaturist and satirist, as 'one of the puppeteers behind Spitting Image' (LRB, 2 November). To my mind, that's like calling Paul McCartney a 'guitar technician'. Roger, who can take a joke better than the next, nonetheless abhors in- accuracy and has asked me to tell you that he 'fùcking hates puppets'. He and Peter Fluck used grotesque latex homunculi to scandalise the bourgeoisie, piss off the pompous and give the rest of us a good laugh. Highly skilled puppeteers played a vital role, but the mind boggles at the pro- spect of Roger Law, a 6'5" giant, crash- ing about under lights on a Sunday night with his hand up Margaret Thatcher. He's bigger than that.

John Kelly

Last edited:
IMG_4069.jpeg

Ian H

Guru
We were at a fund-raising evening for Julian House (a charity for the homeless) last night. Apart from good food and Dr Phil Hammond, there were several local comedians. The most poignant joke for me was from the fellow who said he'd gone back-packing for two years - you know, carrying all your stuff with you, sleeping rough. Except they don't call it back-packing when it's not in the Peak District or the Lakes, but through the centre of Bristol (he phrased it more elegantly than me).

monkers

Guru
OK ... not presented as a joke, but these paragraphs seen in the Guardian today made me laugh out loud ...

Richard Desmond, the Brexit-backing media tycoon, is invoking EU law to sue the gambling regulator after it rejected his “fanciful” bid to run the national lottery, in a suit that could deprive good causes of millions of pounds.

The former owner of the Daily Express has vowed previously to seek damages from the Gambling Commission after his company Northern & Shell missed out on a 10-year contract, worth £6.5bn, to run the lottery from next year.

'It's so not fair' - stamps tiny foot. He should have placed a bet on post-Brexit own goals instead of buying a lottery ticket.

In another article in the same source about Jenrick...

The first was his move in 2020 to overrule a planning decision in a way that benefited the Tory donor and former newspaper magnate Richard Desmond. He pushed through the decision to approve a £1bn development of flats a day before a community levy would have come into force, providing £45m for Tower Hamlets council to spend on local infrastructure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom