Nationalise, regulate or laissez-faire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me

im always a little bit sceptical when seeing these types of twitter videos from the public. Is that a sewages works outlet or could that be a realease from a rainwater culvert, that they open during storms to stop flooding???

I mean, england hasnt had rain for quite some time, so any rainwater that fell onto dirty, gritty, sandy, dusty roads would go down the drains as a blackish dirty colour and then released into the sea, river, canal etc etc ........

It doesnt mean its RAW sewage....but really and truelly grey water run off from roofs, roads, supermarket roofs etc etc. I mean yes people may have been swimming there recently, but then water wouldnt have been coming out of there either as some parts of englad have been sparce of rain lately...

Have you ever thought that may be the reason???? I'm guessing not becaause it doesnt suit your argument.

Also the guy filming states there was 1000s swimming there yesterday....so he filmed Tuesday, yesterday would have been monday, was there really 1000s swimming in there on a monday????.....see things dont tie up for me, its also a Marine Protected area he states

This is map of the swimming area at that Beach

1660743918661.png

The water he is filming is coming out of a pipe/culvert to the right of this map ( thats near the splash point area) that is not a designated safe swimming zone.......but hey, what do i know

But if you stop the film at the end, you get this. I would say thats an area on the right of the map, that looks like its showing the pipes entering the sea.......

1660744118295.png

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
We already own half of the gas we use. Has the cost of extraction from the North Sea changed because of the war in Ukraine? Or have the profits increased dramatically without any additional Investment or effort?

Indeed, and, we are selling it at world market rates, plus, some (if not all) of the Companies doing the extracting are multi-nationals , are we going to Nationalise (for example) Shell?

There is another factor too, as our friends in the North head towards independence, will they be selling 'their' gas to us at 'mates rates' or at world market rates?

BoldonLad

Poor argument trying to go back to the good old days of British Gas,British Rail.
Its a myth that successful management only comes from Private Investment. Its a lie reinforced by the press and media to protect themselves.
Whilst were romantasicing about the past I remember when we had free dentists, free education, free eye tests, we owned all the services, rail, telecoms, water, gas and electric,mail... social housing, EU benefits,old peoples homes..
Yea but the Trains were dirty 🙄

There was a bit more than the trains that were dirty, I recall, as a child (sometime between 1950-1960) it was common place to see human sewage, condoms etc floating in the sea at the coast near where I was born, that was long before privatisation was even thought of. Not bonding it, simply saying it is not a new 'development'.

Telephones, yes, we owned them, good old GPO, we even had people riding about on BSA Bantams delivering Telegrams. We also had party (ie shared) telephone line, a waiting time of months, if not years to get a phone installed.

Gas. No buying appliances from anywhere except 'The Gas Company', abysmal choice of products, abysmal service, yes, it was great.

D

Deleted member 49

Gas. No buying appliances from anywhere except 'The Gas Company', abysmal choice of products, abysmal service, yes, it was great.
Yes I remember the competition is good for the consumer....how do you think that's worked out ?
There was a bit more than the trains that were dirty, I recall, as a child (sometime between 1950-1960) it was common place to see human sewage, condoms etc floating in the sea at the coast near where I was born, that was long before privatisation was even thought of. Not bonding it, simply saying it is not a new 'development'.
I was brought up by the sea....do you not think we should have moved on and advanced from that.Dumping sewage and billing us for it ?

BoldonLad

Yes I remember the competition is good for the consumer....how do you think that's worked out ?

I was brought up by the sea....do you not think we should have moved on and advanced from that.Dumping sewage and billing us for it ?

You don't seem to read very thoroughly. I specifically said, I did not condone it.

Can't speak for Blackpool, or, where ever you grew up, but, the River Tyne, and the Coast line in that area is much cleaner than it was (we used to have not only sewage going into the sea, but, also Colliery waste, from NCB). Yes, it could be better, but, is most certainly not worse than it was.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, just asking you to remove the Rose Tinted spectacles.

D

Deleted member 49

You don't seem to read very thoroughly. I specifically said, I did not condone it.

Can't speak for Blackpool, or, where ever you grew up, but, the River Tyne, and the Coast line in that area is much cleaner than it was (we used to have not only sewage going into the sea, but, also Colliery waste, from NCB). Yes, it could be better, but, is most certainly not worse than it was.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, just asking you to remove the Rose Tinted spectacles.
I read what you said perfectly well thanks ? Did I mention you not condoning it ?
But getting back to your rose tinted specs....what I said is.
was brought up by the sea....do you not think we should have moved on and advanced from that.Dumping sewage and billing us for it
Maybe you should try and concentrate on your reading a little more ?

BoldonLad

I read what you said perfectly well thanks ? Did I mention you not condoning it ?

So why ask "what I think" I already said, I didn't condone it, what do you want, a fatwa?

Unfortunately, in spite of the advances in legislation etc in the intervening years it's still quite common to find turds, condoms and tampons on beaches. It happens repeatedly in the Chichester area for example.

BoldonLad

Unfortunately, in spite of the advances in legislation etc in the intervening years it's still quite common to find turds, condoms and tampons on beaches. It happens repeatedly in the Chichester area for example.

I don't doubt it, I accept that standards have not improved everywhere, nor did I say that they (the Water Companies) could not do better. I was merely pointing out that, in my life experience, the 1950-1980 period was not a golden age of clean, cheap energy and clean seas, with or without Nationalisation/Privatisation. I am all for solving the problems, but, again, in my experience, knee-jerk reactions seldom provide lasting and/or effective solutions.

BoldonLad

Actually, in this instance, you are (almost) right, I should have concentrated more on my proof reading, predictive text changed 'condone' to 'bonding'. I didn't notice it, and, it is too late to edit it now. The marvels of technology outwit an old man again ;)

Milkfloat

have you read that report from the BBC.........95/97% rainwater and should not be classed as raw sewage. Again just scaremonegering to suit a rhetoric

The quote saying 95-97% rainwater comes from the water company, the very same water company who were caught with almost 7000 illegal discharges in a system were very, very few discharges are monitored independently. They are in no way trustworthy and continue to this day to break the law. Even if it were 97% rainwater that still leaves 3% shoot which is more than enough to cause sickness and diarrhoea plus a whole other set of life threatening issues As a paddlesports instructor I have had my fair share of illnesses and have seen many kids suffer the same. We have to monitor our stretch of river for unreported releases and cancel sessions on a fairly regular basis.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
The quote saying 95-97% rainwater comes from the water company, the very same water company who were caught with almost 7000 illegal discharges in a system were very, very few discharges are monitored independently. They are in no way trustworthy and continue to this day to break the law. Even if it were 97% rainwater that still leaves 3% shoot which is more than enough to cause sickness and diarrhoea plus a whole other set of life threatening issues As a paddlesports instructor I have had my fair share of illnesses and have seen many kids suffer the same. We have to monitor our stretch of river for unreported releases and cancel sessions on a fairly regular basis.

Or 3% road debris, leaves, grit etc etc that can wash off roofs, roads etc etc and go i to the grey water system and discharged out of a water culvert……doesnt again mean that its RAW sewage

have you read that report from the BBC.........95/97% rainwater and should not be classed as raw sewage. Again just scaremonegering to suit a rhetoric

The picture is Getty Images so presumably a library picture for effect.

Southern Water, who have stated it to be 95/97% rainwater, have been fined eyewatering amounts for polluting in that area.

And if 5% is turds and tampons then that's raw sewage.

Telephones, yes, we owned them, good old GPO, we even had people riding about on BSA Bantams delivering Telegrams. We also had party (ie shared) telephone line, a waiting time of months, if not years to get a phone installed.

Why would public ownership and direction of essential utilities impact consumer choice of appliances? It simply doesn't follow.

Top Bottom