Nationalise, regulate or laissez-faire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
...our rivers will remain polluted for too long but the Tories think forty years of shite and worse is acceptable. That’s some legacy, you filthy scum.

While Gelt, the cronies' river runs
Through loopholes measureless to man at HMRC
Down to non-dom offshore trusts in the pristine Carib Sea.

Last edited:

spen666

I'm firmly in the rigorous regulation camp.

I've lived through a time of large state industries and a fair bit of the f*ck you system, and seen their horrible weaknesses. I've also seen regulated activities and seen less awful outcomes.

What are your thought?

Without some more details of what you are referring to and how the proposed Nationalisation. laissez faire or regulation would work, its impossible to make an informed position statement

Even in laissez faire situations there is some form of regulation and vice versa

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...2/nov/30/englands-water-the-worlds-piggy-bank

Up in the north east we can manage several times over, off the one reservoir, that being enormous Kielder.
Yet the extra large bills tend to deliver for foreign pension funds.

And cynical me, thinks it likely all the stupid money on over cost windfarms is offshore too.

Naturally, I would be happy to pay less, but, living in the North East, with Northumbrian Water as my water supplier, my combined water and sewerage charges are £19/month, which compares quite favourably with the average figure of £34/month, IMHO.

albion

Veteran
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...nce-privatisation-ofwat-refuses-impose-limits

Water companies keep upping debt levels, no doubt to maintain or increase dividends.
'They have been running ratios of debt to capital value from 60% to more than 80%, according to Ofwat data. The regulator has considered inserting conditions into water company licences to limit the debt a water company can take on in order to protect the public from the impact of financial collapse because of high levels of borrowing. But Ofwat has so far rejected the idea.'

albion

Veteran
I am just thinking that there is a correct term for their actions.

Asset stripping. Easily solvable via proper regulation. Sadly our regulators always seem to be looking over their shoulder.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Regular
I am just thinking that there is a correct term for their actions.

Asset stripping. Easily solvable via proper regulation. Sadly our regulators always seem to be looking over their shoulder.
Regulators are in the pocket of business , an inept government at the helm. You have CEOs only interested in share holder profit and f…k everything else.

737D5924-F318-4577-A616-8A95CDE6AA4E.jpeg

View: https://twitter.com/jennirsl/status/1612873215566569473?s=61&t=8yHfDZtj9lQAcSinRC8fzg

Top Bottom