No Pub Crawls & No Happy Hour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

No going on "Pub crawls" and no "Happy Hours"

CAMRA say these are not inclusive terms

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/12/22/dont-say-pub-crawl-happy-hour-christmas-not-inclusive/

Don't say 'pub crawl' or 'happy hour' this Christmas - it's not inclusive
Campaign for Real Ale tells members they should instead say they are embarking on a 'pub tour' where they will 'savour a pint'

By
Max Stephens
22 December 2022 • 7:47pm
Pub goers enjoy some drinks in Soho in central London at Christmas time
Pub goers enjoy some drinks in Soho in central London at Christmas time CREDIT: JUSTIN TALLIS
Drinkers should avoid saying “pub crawl” and “happy hour” to be more inclusive, the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), has said as they try to end “lad culture”.

Members should instead say they are embarking on a “pub tour” where they will “savour a pint”.

Other phrases such as “join the lads for a swift few after work” have also come under fire as they risk putting off women from joining in.

It marks a fresh attempt by CAMRA to shed its image as a boys only club and instead “welcoming to all”, The Sun reported

A statement for members on its website reads: “We want to connect in a positive way with everybody. We are welcoming to all.

"Avoid ‘lad culture’ overtones which can be alienating to many. Beer banter is fine, just make sure it’s inclusive to everyone.

“Terms such as ‘pub crawl’ and ‘happy hour’ should be avoided. Instead, use alternatives such as ‘pub tour’ and encourage the ‘savouring of a pint’.

“Empathy with our members is paramount. Treat your colleagues to a drink after work, rather than ‘join the lads for a swift few’.”

'Just call it what you want'
The updated guidelines have drawn ire from members with one commenting: “Just call it what you want and don’t be cowed or bogged down by what terminology Camra deems is safe.”

Another said: “I have never in my life met a person who believed that a pub crawl literally meant drinking so much that you could not get to the next.”

Tom Stainer, the chief executive of CAMRA said in response: "Our brand guidelines were updated in 2019 to provide guidance to our volunteers on fostering an inclusive and welcoming CAMRA experience for all.

“We believe that pubs play a vital role in providing a natural home for responsible drinking in a supervised environment and that moderate beer consumption can play a role in a healthy lifestyle.

“CAMRA is a fun, sociable environment for beer and cider drinkers to enjoy their favourite drink together, whether that be in the pub or at their local beer festival."

albion

Veteran
I thought for a second they were referring to the Windy City.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Daughter No 3 works in a predominantly male environment (Civil Engineering). It would probably be good for her bank balance and health if such expressions did deter her from going to the pub. ;)

icowden

Legendary Member
Are we sure that the communication wasn't a little tongue in cheek?

Also, I've never heard of “join the lads for a swift few after work”. I've heard of going for a swift one, or going for a drink. You can't go for a swift few - it doesn't work!

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
With the vast array of craft beers and real ale available in most pubs, bars, and supermarkets, I'm a bit surprised CAMRA is still a thing.

Sounds like an organisation with an aging membership trying to sound relevant. I doubt the 'lad culture' is much of an issue at CAMRA and I doubt the word 'pub crawl' is putting off women.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
With the vast array of craft beers and real ale available in most pubs, bars, and supermarkets, I'm a bit surprised CAMRA is still a thing.

Sounds like an organisation with an aging membership trying to sound relevant. I doubt the 'lad culture' is much of an issue at CAMRA and I doubt the word 'pub crawl' is putting off women.

The fact that real ale is available in most pubs is due precisely to the work of CAMRA, arguably the most successful consumer organisation in the world. There are obvious questions and challenges for CAMRA in the wake of Covid and the growth of craft keg beers, but there remains an obvious need for an organisation representing the interests of drinkers who want good-quality/independent beer instead of mass-produced pish. Shipyard Pale is the new Watney's Red Barrel. Like you I don't think 'lad culture' accurately captures the issues with CAMRA's image and membership profile - but that's because this is largely a non-story intended to prod the anti-wokeists and culture warriors, and most of it is bollocks. However pub culture and drinking culture remains heavily gendered across all age groups and, and some pubs can still be deeply hostile places for black people, women and LGBT folk. An organisation of CAMRA's size has to address all of this.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

The fact that real ale is available in most pubs is due precisely to the work of CAMRA, arguably the most successful consumer organisation in the world. There are obvious questions and challenges for CAMRA in the wake of Covid and the growth of craft keg beers, but there remains an obvious need for an organisation representing the interests of drinkers who want good-quality/independent beer instead of mass-produced pish. Shipyard Pale is the new Watney's Red Barrel. Like you I don't think 'lad culture' accurately captures the issues with CAMRA's image and membership profile - but that's because this is largely a non-story intended to prod the anti-wokeists and culture warriors, and most of it is bollocks. However pub culture and drinking culture remains heavily gendered across all age groups and, and some pubs can still be deeply hostile places for black people, women and LGBT folk. An organisation of CAMRA's size has to address all of this.

Totally agree about tackling the inappropriate behaviour and culture.

Not sure how not using these two seemingly inoccuous phrases does that. If anything it undermines efforts to change culture as now people are mocking CAMRA & "woke" culture & ignoring the inappropriate behaviour

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
to prod the anti-wokeists and culture warriors, and most of it is bollocks.
Could you perhaps find a more gender neutral, inclusive term? 😄

Ian H

Guru
Totally agree about tackling the inappropriate behaviour and culture.

Not sure how not using these two seemingly inoccuous phrases does that. If anything it undermines efforts to change culture as now people are mocking CAMRA & "woke" culture & ignoring the inappropriate behaviour
The right-wing press will spin a story out of nothing though (see my quote from CAMRA, above).

slowmotion

I find anti-lager snobbery deeply offensive.

The Crofted Crest

Hey, Claudine, fancy coming out for a swift one?

D

Deleted member 28

Anyone been in a pub when these 'real ale ' cu*ts turn up, fat, bald, elbow patch wearing w*nkers asking for a taste of every drink on tap?

Eventually when the sad bast*rds decide which half of 'golden shower ' they want they produce their flip out purse and count the pennies which mom has given them and ask for a CAMRA price?

F**k off!

Top Bottom