Normal Island

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Nope. He's a real person, lives just the Devon side of the Tamar, prolific letter writer of the stands to reason kind.

Local newspapers seem to all have a few of these to fall back on on a contentious story.

ED9B3913-EC81-408E-8193-DA0793292E17.jpeg

If you had an 11 year old son you’d understand.
My wife queued at Asda on Christmas Eve to pick up a bottle for my son’s stocking.
It’s a huge thing at the moment. Kids are so easily manipulated by marketing.

Maybe it's a parent's job to counter and break such manipulation?

stowie

Maybe it's a parent's job to counter and break such manipulation?

Although it frequently feels like a parent against the combined influence of social media, peer pressure and the weight of large marketing and advertising budgets poured into TikTok and other platforms.

My daughter is now old enough to get these things herself. She and her friends queued for over 4 hours to go to the Wednesday (Netflix series not the day) promotion the other day. She got a free coffee after the wait. It is probably a learning experience...

I think it isn't different these days from the past. Remember the cabbage patch hysteria - the whole world seemed to lose their minds over some cheap and rather ugly fabric dolls for a good 6 months. Probably more difficult to get away from it or control it because every platform can now become a vehicle for promotion, and the promoting is much more targeted.

Beebo

Veteran
Although it frequently feels like a parent against the combined influence of social media, peer pressure and the weight of large marketing and advertising budgets poured into TikTok and other platforms.

My daughter is now old enough to get these things herself. She and her friends queued for over 4 hours to go to the Wednesday (Netflix series not the day) promotion the other day. She got a free coffee after the wait. It is probably a learning experience...

I think it isn't different these days from the past. Remember the cabbage patch hysteria - the whole world seemed to lose their minds over some cheap and rather ugly fabric dolls for a good 6 months. Probably more difficult to get away from it or control it because every platform can now become a vehicle for promotion, and the promoting is much more targeted.

And we are only talking about a £1.99 bottle of drink. It isn’t a £150 pair of trainers. So it’s easily obtainable for any kid with pocket money.

Most sensible people quickly grow out of this nonsense and soon realise it has very little meaning in the whole scheme of things.

@Beebo I understand the need to do heroic things for your kids sometimes, how was your 11y/o's reaction to finding the gift in the stocking, and how was the taste?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Back in my day, the must have thing one year was a Tracy Island. My mum hunted all over Edinburgh, eventually finding a shop that had a couple left for sale. Another purchaser had arrived slightly before my mum, and attempted to take both off the shelf. Being a former teacher, my mum said "I don't think so", and they both ended up with one each.

Loved it too. I wish I'd kept it, but it got given away to another family when, quite reasonably, it was deemed they'd get more enjoyment from it.

Still bloody love Thunderbirds, and all the Gerry & Sylvia Anderson stuff.

ETA - They seem to go for around £60 on Ebay, which surprises me. Doubt they were much more than that new.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Everyone of us at one time or another will have paid over the odds for something because it was branded or it was trendy, whether it's clothes, bike stuff, or a bottle of water. Heck, there will be people on CC who have spent £4k on a bike when £2k would have done. I can't see how anyone could begrudge an 11 year old getting a lot of pleasure from a £2 gift even if it is overpriced and overhyped.

Top Bottom