Normal Island

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

I

Small victories ✌️
If there's an upside to the cost of living crisis coming straight after the Pandemic, it's that more and more people are having those types of thought processes. What brings real quality to ones life?

I'm asking myself that question with greater frequency and questioning buying stuff we apparently 'need'. This is a recurring theme atm having been in our new home 6 months and wanting to make it 'just right'....
I don't agree,a lot are just struggling to get by.Never mind being able to afford a new car or such !
It's a luxury for many to be able to switch the boiler on.

D

Deleted member 49

On the car front, a lot of people are still under the impression that a car with 60 or 70k on the clock is nearing the end of its life. I know a few people who would swap cars once the warranty expired after 3 years because of the fear of a big bill on an 'old' car.

Most modern cars should be good for 100k miles though, with just wear and tear repairs. It's consumerism and status that mostly drives new car purchases. It's not for everybody, but I wish more people would embrace the joy of bangernomics.
I've two vehicles,one with over 400,000 miles and the other my partners over 200,000.They will run till they fall apart.I view 100,000 miles as barely run in.

Beebo

Veteran
On the car front, a lot of people are still under the impression that a car with 60 or 70k on the clock is nearing the end of its life. I know a few people who would swap cars once the warranty expired after 3 years because of the fear of a big bill on an 'old' car.

Most modern cars should be good for 100k miles though, with just wear and tear repairs. It's consumerism and status that mostly drives new car purchases. It's not for everybody, but I wish more people would embrace the joy of bangernomics.

I’ve never bought a new car.
We need the new car buyers to keep producing a supply of second hand ones for the sensible people to buy.
In lockdown the price of second hand vehicles rocketed because no one was switching.

I don't agree,a lot are just struggling to get by.Never mind being able to afford a new car or such !
It's a luxury for many to be able to switch the boiler on.

Yes they are, I'm not unaware....
But it's not them that's farking the planet with overt consumerism are they?

D

Deleted member 49

Sorry Adam, I don't know what point you're trying to make here, apart from stating the bleeding obvious....
If there's an upside to the cost of living crisis coming straight after the Pandemic, it's that more and more people are having those types of thought processes. What brings real quality to ones life? what should we value?
I think this is total bollox.... we've replaced the pandemic with a just as scary cost of living crisis....Because someone can't afford a new car or chooses not to buy one you think we've become more caring ?
I think we're in danger of going totally the opposite way.Theres far too many being forced to strike just to survive or being forced into debt.Wealth and status are just as prevalent as ever.

I think this is total bollox.... we've replaced the pandemic with a just as scary cost of living crisis....Because someone can't afford a new car or chooses not to buy one you think we've become more caring ?
I think we're in danger of going totally the opposite way.Theres far too many being forced to strike just to survive or being forced into debt.Wealth and status are just as prevalent as ever.

Call it whatever you like, I never said anything about more caring nor anything about helping the disadvantaged.

But from my anecdata point of 1, in my immediate meat-space, it's what I'm finding. There is notable change in people's thinking and conversations. YMMV, but it doesn't make my experience any less valid.
Maybe it's the company I keep....

If you want to discuss the poor, disadvantaged and marginalised, or the sins of wealth, start a thread, am certain you'll find we're pretty aligned. But that was not the gist of my comments....

D

Deleted member 49

Call it whatever you like, I never said anything about more caring nor anything about helping the disadvantaged.

But from my anecdata point of 1, in my immediate meat-space, it's what I'm finding. There is notable change in people's thinking and conversations. YMMV, but it doesn't make my experience any less valid.
Maybe it's the company I keep....

If you want to discuss the poor, disadvantaged and marginalised, or the sins of wealth, start a thread, am certain you'll find we're pretty aligned. But that was not the gist of my comments....
Definitely the company you keep I'd say....I think this country is far less caring and compassionate than it was pre covid.Were as selfish as ever !
Happy New Year...all the best love Scrooge.

Definitely the company you keep I'd say....I think this country is far less caring and compassionate than it was pre covid.Were as selfish as ever !
Happy New Year...all the best love Scrooge.

I think it's more polarised, that's for sure. And yes, most of the company I keep is not yet on the breadline. The leadership of the country gives not a fark, but on an individual level it's different. I think the general support for the current disputes, support of food banks and charities shows that there's care aplenty and in my little world the narrative among the maudling middle is slowly changing. Revolution it ain't, but every journey starts with a first step....

mudsticks

Squire
Whereas we have Tripadvisor on which to rate Scarborough as a destination.

I used to go there on day trips from Whitby as a kid .. Has it got better or worse??

There was no w*nking walrus that I recall, but maybe my parents just distracted me with ice cream 🤔

Top Bottom