Old Bexley and Sidcup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Well of course, why wouldn't you do that ??;)

Because, I am a lazy, illiterate northern male of course ;)

mudsticks

Squire
The German PR system, devised I believe by the Allies to hobble any extreme tendencies, seems to work well. One commentator referred to it as 'grown-up politics'.

Yes I've been following it quite closely.

Aided and abetted by my on the ground German political guidance expert..

Even as a lumpen country rusticle, I can get to grips with the basics..

I'm sure the brighter and more sophisticated amongst , wouldnt have any trouble, getting their heads around it all.

Beebo

Veteran
The Tory party are the most successful political party in the World despite never winning more than 50% of the vote in any election.
Beating them is extremely difficult for a number of reasons.
FPTP clearly helps them as most opposition parties are to the left which splits the left vote.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The German PR system, devised I believe by the Allies to hobble any extreme tendencies, seems to work well. One commentator referred to it as 'grown-up politics'.

I would agree, in practical terms, it seems to have worked very well.

However, what %ge of the actual vote did the replacement for Ms Merkel get? I may have got it wrong, but, I thought he actually got quite a low %ge of the vote. I note that the resident "all things German are fantastic" poster (in the other place) has either not migrated to here, or, has been very quiet.

mudsticks

Squire

However, what %ge of the actual vote did the replacement for Ms Merkel get? I may have got it wrong, but, I thought he actually got quite a low %ge of the vote. I note that the resident "all things German are fantastic" poster (in the other place) has either not migrated to here, or, has been very quiet.

Mrs Merkels leadership is replaced by a coalition of three parties.

Different people from those three different parties get the equivalent of ministerial positions in the coalition government.

The number of ministerial positions each party get is proportional to the number of votes they get.

aiui the overall Chancellorship goes to the leader of the party that got the largest number of votes overall.

Theres regional stuff in there too, but the above is the basic premise.
As far as I can make out.

AiG is probs out doing something more importanter like riding his bike.

:cycle:

Pale Rider

Veteran
FPTP clearly helps them as most opposition parties are to the left which splits the left vote.

Which has also happened to the Tories with UKIP and similar parties.

Reform UK received 6.6% of the vote in this by-election which some commentators believe raises a tactical question for the Tories.

In other words, will they need to shift to the right to head off the threat.

Ian H

Guru

The SDP got the largest number of seats, a little over 25%.

Beebo

Veteran
Which has also happened to the Tories with UKIP and similar parties.

Reform UK received 6.6% of the vote in this by-election which some commentators believe raises a tactical question for the Tories.

In other words, will they need to shift to the right to head off the threat.
Will they be brave/foolish enough to move right.
Brexit is done there is nothing more to fight for.
The middle ground is where the fight will be.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Will they be brave/foolish enough to move right.
Brexit is done there is nothing more to fight for.
The middle ground is where the fight will be.

I agree about the middle ground, the Labour Party would be foolish to move to the left, and the Tories would be foolish to move to the right.

Which didn't stop the Labour Party from doing it - Corbyn - and might not stop the Tories from making the same mistake.

I'm told Starmertron's latest shadow cabinet is a shift to the centre, which might suggest he's finally getting to grips with his job.

Top Bottom