Old King Coal....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
True, it might be, but, if you are one of the unfortunate unemployed, particularly the young unemployed, you might have grown impatient waiting?

I get that and can see why it has strong local support. But it's not a plan that smacks of success and longevity.
If it really happens (and I doubt it will), I hope it brings benefits to an area that needs all the help it can get....

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 28

I get that and can see why it has strong local support. But it's not a plan that smacks of success and longevity.
If it really happens (and I doubt it will), I hope it brings benefits to an area that needs all the help it can get....

So why the negativity then?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

On that, I would agree.

There should have been a bit of forward thinking (a difficult concept for most Politicians), and displaced workers should have been trained to give them skills needed now (we are told daily we are short of people with the required skills). Similarly, as technology, and/or changing Environmental considerations displaces workers in other industries, instead of trying to turn back the clock, there should be training available to enable those workers to gain employment in areas where they are needed.

But, so far, Governments of both parties have been totally inept in this area.

swansonj

Regular
It's a specific type of coal for a specific purpose and, in world terms, at tiny volume. If it provides employment where it's otherwise limited then what's the problem?

In part, because it drives a coach and horses through any pretence the UK has at leadership on responding to the climate emergency. One action always has the power to undermine any number of warm words.

swansonj

Regular
Plus, supposedly, unless we reduce our use of steel, then, the equivalent amount of suitable coal will be imported (from Russia?) and burnt here anyway, so, total CO2 etc output in terms of coal burnt (not transported) will be the same.

I don't think that's correct reasoning. "Keep it in the ground." If we dig this coal up, it will eventually be burned by someone somewhere. If we leave it in the ground, it won't be. That's modified by the question of whether, if we don't dig up our coal, someone else will dig up more than they would have done, but that slightly dilutes rather than completely negates the basic argument.

PaulB

Tim Farron, an MP for Westmoreland in Cumbria has just been quoted as saying about this coal-mine, "It's like celebrating the opening of a Beta-max factory."

Mr Celine

Meanwhile the fossil fuel industries continue to push the untried idea of carbon capture and storage.
Instead of going to the vast expense of developing this absurd idea it would be considerably cheaper to leave the carbon safely buried where it is.

Top Bottom